Need to sex Call Ducks

keyt1969

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Hello!

I'm fairly new to owning ducks. I have a trio of 21 day old Call Ducks that I need to figure out how to sex. I may have an idea but I want to ask the more experienced ones on here. I have read on the internet that it can also be done by their chirps!? I need the best ways to do this please!

Thanks!

Keyt

Picture009.jpg

Possible female

Picture008.jpg

Possible male

Picture013.jpg

Possible female. This one is MUCH bigger than the other two!

love your ducklings
smile.png
Im at the same stage as you, i have 2 call ducklings and they are exactly the same size so no give-aways there. I think in about a week they will begin to either quack or not quack IYKWIM lol so its just a waiting game not long to go now!

MIne are 3 months old and I just figured out their sexes by the curls in thier back tail feathers-very distinct! I hav 2 boys and 1 girl
hmm.png

The first yellow one is precious, the black one is adoring and the third one is an angel. Male or female ? I don't know. I actually have judged a pair of white calls that were given to me by the thickness of their legs. This is DEFINATELY not guarenteed. I sold one and wanted to keep a female. These 2 were identical in size at the time and about the same age as the ones in your pics. I picked the one with the thinner legs hoping for a girl (but I really wasn't sure). As it turns out, I was lucky to have picked the female but I only know now because of her loud quack.

The females have hormone spots on their bills, but I don't exactly when they appear. And the males do have the curled tail feathers, but you won't be able to tell that until they have feathers.

I had to wait until they were about my little hen started quacking before I could sex mine.
Your babies are precious.
smile.png

Thanks everyone! I've had my 3 Duckseteers for 3 weeks now. They are about as spoiled as ducks can be! I must say though that I think everyone in my house must have thought I was losing it. The biggest of the 3 quacked for the first time!!! I felt like when my human kids said a word for the first time, I was SO excited.

Every day I take them outside to swim in a large plastic storage bin, then would let them walk in the grass where they always follow me. For some reason the bigger one (which I hope is female because we've been calling her Olivia, but if it's male it's Oliver) stopped following the littler two and suddenly let out this honking noise. It scared him because he jumped at the same time lol. A few seconds later he did it again except this time it was a definite quack! SO exciting!!!
smile.png

Picture057.jpg

This is the one. This is the 2nd day we had her. She is now the one in the 3rd from the top pic above!

I have for grey call ducks from a friend I hatched out and the only difference I can see at 8-9 weeks old is that one has a brownish bill and the other three have a greenish/blue bills. Plumage is juvenile, but I can see no diffence in that yet. Could someone tell me again, should the female quack and the males kind of squack?

@ruarlmom: Could someone tell me again, should the female quack and the males kind of squack?
I think the females are the ones that quack and the males make a low, monotone raspy noise with most ducks.
smile.png

Last edited:
I guess I am tone deaf or something for I just cannot pick up the difference in quacks with 14 ducks it can be difficult. Can anyone tell by this picture?
39112_call_closeup.jpg
They are just 8 - 10 weeks old grey call crosses. Only difference I have noted is the obvious bill colors.

Back
Top Bottom