Post your exotic/domestic duck aviary/pool pics

KansasKid

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 7, 2010
South East Kansas
I know there is a lot of threads like this and i have searched and gone through a lot of them. But i would like to see some more people join in and some updated pictures of the old. I am in the slow process of building my own and would like to see everyone's set ups, Please, Thank you!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Well, I don't have a big, elaborate aviary - I'm in college, living with my mom, so I've built all of my pens to be transportable, with the idea that when I get my own place, all I'll have to do is rent a BIG trailer, get a few strong guys to help me, and move all the duck pens with me!
smile.png

Here's my favorite design so far - it still needed to be painted and shingled in the picture, and you can see that I hadn't hinged the little triangular door on yet. At this point, I HAVE painted it, but I still haven't shingled it - I just have two tarps to throw over the top when it rains. It's 8' long by 6' wide overall, and around 4' tall at the peak. So far, I've built two of these: one houses 6 Call ducks, and one houses 6 Bantam Cochin chickens, and I'm working on another that will house 4 Runner ducks.
smile.png

July2010107.jpg

I like that one. Lots of work put into it. Spoiled duckies for sure. Why do you have netting hanging on top? Is that for extra shade? Also do your ducks pick up the rocks and dump them into the pond? I have rocks like that under my dogs water bowl and my ducks pick them up and dump them into the bowl all the time.

Quote:
Hi Katharinad,

No, they are very small ducks and can't pick up any of the rocks or pebbles. they could probably try to pick up the baby moon gravel if they really wanted to, but they haven't so far.

I put netting because most people recommended that i do it to prevent them from injuring themselves if they started flying around. They haven't really flown up there so far so it's worked out pretty well.

The netting does help for shade, but the area is in shade about 75-80% of the time throughout the day in most spots. Although, I bought a rectangular tarp that i just put over it when it is going to rain or be over 90 degrees to help provide shade.

I need to update my thread with some new pics, because i bought some more stuff for them: a Hippo to perch on, a new even larger mushroom to perch on, a bit of monkey grass, and a little bird bath.

I don't know if they will use the mushroom or bird bath, because it will require them to fly up to get to them. I'll see how it goes. The mushroom stand weighs a lot. Probably more than 100lbs. I got cut up just transporting it into the aviary earlier. It's fairly smooth for the most part, but the bottom where i was holding it cut my arm when i was trying to lay it down gently. Chalk it up to gravity and 100 pounds of rock rubbing against the inside of my elbow. :eek:

I have more pics in my signature link, but for the aviary, i posted the best views. The pic i posted in here at the bottom of the set is actually out of date, because the pet carrier and giant water bowl are no longer in there. I have a small shed (which they don't use) and a large grass plant over there. That's the one i took of their first day home.

New Aviary is 17'W x 40'L Pool is about 8'W x 16'L with varying water depths of 10" to 16"
South end with concrete pool
133.jpg

North end with 2 Nursery enclosures and 1 isolation enclosure(only 1 nursery and isolation enclosure visible)
358.jpg

all i have to say is WOW, boy do i wish i had your guys set ups. Hopefully i can get it at least half as good
tongue.png

and exoticduckluvr love the white faced tree ducks, and are those chiloe widgeons?

Back
Top Bottom