when do turkeys start laying eggs?

wanderseek

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
east central Indiana
We have one lone turkey in with our flock of hens (+1 rooster). We got several of the hens plus turkey girl from a friend who got them all as chicks at easter, then lost interest. Wondering if/when the turkey will lay eggs like the hens do. I'm sure she will...just wondering what age they start. Thanks!!

From my understanding if she hatched this spring she will start laying next spring. I have read some lay in the fall but that is not the usual case.

My spring turkeys do not lay until the following spring. My fall turkeys also start laying in spring. It would be rare for a spring turkey to lay for the first time in the fall. Something about spring triggers them. I guess the amount of daylight.

That's right, they should all start the following spring after thier hatch, unless they were a very late fall hatch, in that case, it will skip their first spring. Generally 9 months or better of age. I had a lot of late fall Merriams skip this year as they were just too young.
Once they start, they will lay like crazy for you in most cases, usually until early fall, older birds (4 years plus) will stop sooner in my personal birds, but are still great layers while they are in normal season

Well mine will be 9 months in January in mild central coast weather even my old hens would start laying by March so I will let you all know when mine start....we are still in the "gathering materials" stage for their castle but we have mild weather normally until Thanksgiving so I hope by then to have separated pens and runs for mine I want purebred eggs....though it looks like I have all Auburn Hens so they will have to be with some lucky guy....who yet I don't know maybe my Royal Palms maybe that would make Red Palms? Those Palms are so pretty and mine are just as big as the Auburns maybe bigger....

Quote:
So Mine were born in Late April Early May....so in 9 months putting me at Feb/March laying? wow..Now thats a hard wait! and I only have 1 breeding pair!

Quote:
So Mine were born in Late April Early May....so in 9 months putting me at Feb/March laying? wow..Now thats a hard wait! and I only have 1 breeding pair!

Yep, if they were Aril hatch, they lay starting in March or so for you 2011. Depends on your particular climate when they will start, hotter climates usually start earlier than northern colder climates

Quote:

Yep, if they were Aril hatch, they lay starting in March or so for you 2011. Depends on your particular climate when they will start, hotter climates usually start earlier than northern colder climates

well I guess Im kinda hosed then...LOL It only warms up a few months a year around here!! haha No seriously in May its about 40 degrees if we are lucky.. 55

Back
Top Bottom