Fayoumis

JenneAllen

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
My husband and I will be ordering chicks this spring. He wants Sussex and I want to get Egyptian Fayoumis to cross breed as I read they are immune to the avian flu virus. We live in a neighborhood that is not partial to chickens, although it is not against the law to do so (we have raised chickens before - mostly Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks). I am worried about our roosters escaping again. Is the Fayoumis a good breed for a backyard chicken?

I have actually heard that they can escape from nearly every situation and even the girls are flighty. Im sorry, but I would deffinately go with something different
smile.png

Thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of blogs and from what I can see, if they are hand raised from one day they can be sweet, but any fayoumis hatched out by a broody hen will revert to their rather feral nature. On a farm they would be great.

Looks like New Hampshires for me, or Sussex.

Well, Blackdotte, you ruffled my feathers a bit, but I checked your posts and you know your stuff.

I will pass on the Fayoumis until I move out to the country again. I wanted their disease fighting genes, but we had three barred rock roosters that went a wandering and ended up getting shot by the neighbors (they weren't bothering anyone).

Interesting that any breed of chicken could eventually be bred from just a pair of chickens, that they all carry the same genes. I think the Malays are awesome looking, like little dinosaurs, but read they have a nasty personality. I've raised a lot of chickens over the years, the only mean rooster I had was a white leghorn. Even a fighting rooster I rescued that had one eye was a sweetie.

I got EF this year and they have been great they have became one of my fav. breeds. They seem like the are healther than the average chickens. The grow very fast, and mature very fast. I have them in a coop I have had no escapes so far. When they are a few weeks old about the age 8-10 weeks they seem to be really flighty than they seem to calm down. I can walk up and pick anyone of them up. I only had one problem with them. It was a runt in the bunch that seem like it didn't grow like the other ones and the rooster started to pick on him. I took him out and he is now the same size as everyone else and doing very well. I have not lost a one so they are super healthy. I highly reccomend them.

Blackdotte, why do you say that? I don't know how to check your posts to see if you know your stuff or not..NOT THAT I AM DOUBTING YOU...Please don't for a moment think I am....
smile.png

Egyptian Fayoumi are not immune to the Avian Flu Virus.
Egyptian Fayoumi through poultry genetics research and anecdotal reports, is thought to be especially resistant to some forms of viral and bacterial infections.

No Chicken to my knowledge is immune to the Avian influenza Virus.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom