Where can i buy some blue hen of delaware chickens?

ninjascrub69

Songster
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Bloomingdale, MI
I've been searching the internet for hours and cant find any actual blue hen of delaware chickens for sale, only merchandise for the school that has the blue hen of delaware as their mascot. Can someone please help?

I fell in love with them too. But from what I understand they're nearly impossible to get ahold of. There are so few breeding birds. But if you manage to find someone who has some that are true to the breed I'd love to know!!

I'm going to have to watch this post! Good luck.
smile.png

I have some of Bec's DBH, (Delaware Blue Hens) and, not being a recognized APA breed, they are very hard to find. I drove 26 hours in 2 days to get the little stinkers home!
lol.png

I have only 7 hens right now, having lost my DBH roo in spring. BUT.... I am negotiating to get one of my rehomed roosters back. I'm not sure what Bec's status is at the moment, but I PMed her a link to this thread and left a voicemail for her.

They are small to mid-size, and are capable of better flight than most chickens. Mine sail out of the woods at about 8 feet high! The hens are all very sweet and good natured. A few of the roos need careful tending because they are very protective of their flocks, but overall quite well behaved. Eggs are usually about medium size, white or off white. Very nice!

For more info, check here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/delaware_blue_hen/524

I love my DBH, have never regretted tracking them down.
smile.png

Well, I am not sure what my status is at this point
tongue.png
I had to part with my only roo due to him being a mean bugger and after 2 years of my kids not being able to go out without being armed for battle, he had to go to a friends house. I'm unsure what I am going to from here on, I have my hands full with some other things but I can certainly help anyone who is looking for some Blue Hens!

You should definitely do some reading up and research, although it is hard to find anything on the actual bird. If you have any questions Ranchie or myself can answer any questions you may have.

I saw them today for the first time at the Delaware State Fair. My husband and I are both from Delaware, graduated from the U.of D. and never knew these birds existed. I thought they were extinct or out of a story. Anyway, contact the U. of D. School of Agriculture. I read that they have a flock.

Back
Top Bottom