Cornish Thread

Pics
I don't think there is one. I'm going through my first two hatches, and will try to take some pics of the keepers.

Here is what I believe to be our young Spangled Cornish banty:

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

Very attractive little pullet, that I'm glad we lucked up into picking up here up randomly.

Last edited:
Well I for one will be watching this thread. I have two bantam dark cornish pullets coming as soon as it's warm enough to ship. One from Christine and Adam Hady in Wisconsin and one from Frank Reid in Alabama. I don't breed...just wanted some for pets -with eggs. Love that little stocky bulldog look.
love.gif

Jx2inNC.... nice color on your birds. Didn't know cornish came in that color.
wink.png

Last edited:
There are Two Dark Cornish Trios, one dark cornish pair, and one white pair of cornish for sale @ featherauction.com right now.

Here is some info about them from Poultry Tribune June 1911
CornishBantamsPoultryTribuneJune19112.jpg

I found this on success with poultry 1896
books

I will be posting more info soon !

Okay this is from Successful Poultry Culture 1908,
CornishINFO.jpg

Poultry Tribune 1896, This is an INTERESTING article, does anyone know if it is still around,
books

This whole book is on Indian game, very cool.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Cy...wAjgK#v=onepage&q=Cornish indian game&f=false

Okay this is from how to make poultry Pay,1909,
White Indian Game
books

books

books

books

This is from the Practicle poultryman 1900
The Indian Games—An Explanation.

Dakota, Iii., June 25, 1900. Editor Practical Poultry man:

A short time ago my attention was drawn to a note under "Snap Shots" by Mr. J. H. Davis in the Practical Poultryman. I am pleased to know he appreciates my efforts in behalf of thefowl now popularly called "Indian" but must take exception to his unjust criticism. No one is more enthusiastic than I in dropping the word "Game" from the standard names of theC'ornish and White Indians as has been seen in the editor's note heading my article in the July, 1899, number of the Reliable Poultry Journal and also in my catalogue printed in 1899, a copy of which I mail you to-day. Kindly reprint page nineteen herewith. Article 1. of the club constitution reads: "This organization shall be known as the American Indian Game Club and while much as I would like to drop the "Game" from the heading of the? Club Notices, I, as Secretary and Treasurer, have no right to until the name of the club is changed. It will be noticed I never use the word "game" in the body of the notices Nor have I the right to "tack" on the word "Cornish" as Mr. Davis suggests, which would limit our organiza tion to a variety instead of a breed club. Besides there are a number of White Indian fanciers that belong to the club. These matters should be settled by the club at some meeting. The mistake is not mine but that of Mr. Davis in criticising me instead of the club.

As to the Cornish not being a game at all 1 am not so sure as Mr. Davis and there are a whole lot of "real" Cornish fanciers in the same boat.

W. S. Templeton.

The article referred to on page 19 is as follows:

OUR FAVORITE'S NAME.

Indians belong to the Oriental Game class which includes Malays, Indians and Sumatras. While our Standard has classed the Malays and Sumatras as games (which is right) it does not call them so, but simply B. B. R. Malays and Black Sumatras, and we hope "the time will soon come when the Standard will favor our so-called Cornish Indian Games and White Indian Games and re-christen them

Cornish and White Indians" and drop the "Game" from their name leaving them, however, where thoy belong—in the Oriental Game class. The combination of the words "Indian" and "Game" gives persons, not familiar with the breed, an idea thai they are terrible fighters or a pit fowl, hence they do not become interested in our favorites and take up the breeding and perfecting of some less worthy breed. For this and other reasons a great many of our foremost breeders have wisely favored dropping the "Game" and their advertisements in the different journals have been changed to read "Cornish Indians" and "White Indians," which is shorter and certainly much prettier. They are not fighters, for they fight no more than Asiatic and American breeds, and are not game in that sense of the word.

In the name of the worthy Indiana we therefore urge all interested friends to "push a good thing along" and see that stationery, editorials, advertisements, etc., etc., are written in a modern and up-to-date way and for the best interests of our noble breed. Respectfully, . W. S. Templeton.

A Cheap Paint for Poultry Houses.

books

books

And The Cornish Standard http://www.archive.org/stream/americanstandard00ameriala#page/234/mode/2up

This
is a cool Story On Cornish
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=401062&p=2

There is another great post that I cannot find yet
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, Debbie!
I agree with how neat the little stocky look of these birds is. As far as simply looks and size (this is probably smaller than my little OE's), this may be one of my favorites, to be honest!

Back
Top Bottom