Can chickens eat Loquats? Sorry I got the two mixed up on original sub

crosbygroup

Songster
13 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Northridge, California
I was thinking of planting a kumquat tree in the chicken yard. Is it ok for the chickens to eat extra fruit that drops?

Make that Loquat. Can chickens eat loquats?

Last edited:
From what I've read and experienced with my chickens, they don't like any citrus fruit. Maybe the question should be "will chickens eat kumquats?" instead of "can chickens eat kumquats".
Mine are pretty good at deciding what's not good for them to eat. For instance, I have a slew of mushrooms sprouting up on old stumps and in "fairy rings" in my backyard where they free range. I've read chickens love mushrooms, but not these. They won't touch them.

I agree with Ohhhdear...citrus may interfere w/ egg production but should not affect general health of chickens, from what I have read. Chickens may know what to eat or not eat, but you can't always count on them making the best decisions, nutrition wise. For example, if given the choice between appropriate feed that is balanced nutritionally or cracked corn/treats of marginal value they will pick the"goodies" most of the time! Kinda like kids, I think.
lol.png

I messed this post up at the start because I got kumquats mixed up with loquats.
he.gif
I know that kumquats are citrus and that chickens are not supposed to like or eat citrus.

The real question I meant to ask was about loquats. Can chickens eat loquats and do they like them?

We have a few Loquat trees on our property. When we trim the trees, all the braches go into the main run for them to pick over. Our birds just love the Loquats if they are ripe. Ours will also eat grapefruit and they love oranges but they do not care for lemons.

Glad to see this question posted. I planted a loquat tree in my yard today. Then my cousin told me that her dog had gotten quite ill from eating loquats, including the pits. Had me concerned and wondering if I should replant the tree somewhere that the chickens don't have access to. Sounds like they should be okay.

Our chickens love Loquat as a treat when I harvest from the neighbors tree. This year I planted my own tree.. soon to be trees (plural) :)

Back
Top Bottom