6 month old bantam cochins, haven't got an egg yet Another UPDATE!!!!

Mucky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
small town iowa
I got 4 bantam hens that are about 6 months old that haven't laid any eggs yet. Is that normal? They seem prefectly happy and healthy to me but I am new to chickens. I am still feeding them chick starter/grower.

UPDATE: The hens are about 8 1/2 months old now. Still no eggs. Apparently they are waiting for spring. I need some more reassurance that this is normal or some advice on helping them along. Its rather frustrating wading through the snow everyday to find no eggs again.

ANOTHER UPDATE!!! The hens are about 10 months old now and I got my first egg!

I checked on them Saturday afternoon. Saturday night we had a big party at our house. Sunday I was on the couch all day with a hangover and totally forgot to check on them. Checked on them today and had 2 little eggs in the nest box! I couldn't believe it when I saw it, it seems like I've been waiting forever. Unforunately one of the eggs was cracked. It was pretty cold and I think it might have froze and burst. I'm not sure about that though. Can an egg burst if it freezes? I feel bad about not checking on them Sunday but I am so excited they are starting to lay. The eggs are the same size but the color is slightly different. I am wondering if its just one of them that is laying or if maybe two of them have started.

I have a new problem now. I have had them on chick starter/grower up to now and I want to switch them over to a layer mix. I had planned on mixing the grower and the layer together for a couple weeks to get them used to the new feed. Unforunately I only have about a scoop of the grower left. How big of a problem is it going to be to abruptly switch feeds? I also vaguely remember that you should not eat the first few eggs they lay when they first start laying, but I don't remember why. Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm excited.

Last edited:
I have several Bantams: Silkies, a Mille Fleur D'Uccle, and a Cochin. They're six months old now and just started laying. I can't tell which ones are actually laying, but I think it's the Silkies. I don't think my Cochin is laying yet. She's just taking her time, it's okay with me.
smile.png

UPDATE: The hens are about 8 1/2 months old now. Still no eggs. Apparently they are waiting for spring. I need some more reassurance that this is normal or some advice on helping them along. Its rather frustrating wading through the snow everyday to find no eggs again.

Hey, Mucky.
I am just up the road in Minnesota. This is a time when almost no one wants to lay, but they should kick in again soon with the days getting longer again. I know your frustration and worry, but ease up on yourself. If you are still feeding starter, switch to lay formula. I use mash, but you can get crumbles in a lay formula too for a little more. If they are happy and healthy, they will start laying when they are ready. I have a batch that hatched in June who haven't started laying either. But none of my 50 or so chickens are laying right now. But when they start again, I will have way too many. Isn't that a kick in the pants? I actually have dreams of getting more eggs than I know what to do with followed by frustration dreams of no eggs, or kids forgetting to collect eggs for several days and then finding them everywhere.
I must have chicken sickness, huh?
lol.png

I've got a buff orp gal who hatched mid April and she's not laying yet, either.

Just wanted to assure you that you're not alone.

PS...My EE (who was also hatched in April) JUST started laying about two weeks ago, so there's hope that the rest of our girls won't become eggless old spinsters, lol.

Stacy

ANOTHER UPDATE!!! The hens are about 10 months old now and I got my first egg!

I checked on them Saturday afternoon. Saturday night we had a big party at our house. Sunday I was on the couch all day with a hangover and totally forgot to check on them. Checked on them today and had 2 little eggs in the nest box! I couldn't believe it when I saw it, it seems like I've been waiting forever. Unforunately one of the eggs was cracked. It was pretty cold and I think it might have froze and burst. I'm not sure about that though. Can an egg burst if it freezes? I feel bad about not checking on them Sunday but I am so excited they are starting to lay. The eggs are the same size but the color is slightly different. I am wondering if its just one of them that is laying or if maybe two of them have started.

I have a new problem now. I have had them on chick starter/grower up to now and I want to switch them over to a layer mix. I had planned on mixing the grower and the layer together for a couple weeks to get them used to the new feed. Unforunately I only have about a scoop of the grower left. How big of a problem is it going to be to abruptly switch feeds? I also vaguely remember that you should not eat the first few eggs they lay when they first start laying, but I don't remember why. Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm excited.

I have two batnam Cochin and at around 10 months old still no eggs. They seems to be happy to. Food, water, snacks They have it all. I even put in a separate bowl oyster shell just in case but nothing.

Back
Top Bottom