If they have worms, what is the treatment?

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
We had an outbreak of lice in the chickens this summer, after we came home from the Fair, and successfully got that under control.

But I think there is still something going on with my flock.

I have 6 Large fowl, and 5 bantums that should be laying -- I've been getting only ONE egg per day, most all summer. It's from the same girl. The six LF are all over a year, and all have layed well before. One is coming off being broody, but her chicks are 3 months old. Five of the bantums are 6 months old, and one is 10 months old. The older bantum did lay a few (no more than 4 or 5) eggs back in July (on the ground in the coop, never found the nest box). But then nothing.

Feathers are a little dry on about half of the birds, and a couple are molting now, but in general, they've gone way too long not laying for there not to be something else going on.

So, if it's worms, how would I know? And what is the treatment?

How to know they don't have worms is get some poop samples tested by vet.

Given your egg production is low right now and you have some molting going on, it is an ideal time to worm them. To reduce the impact on egg withdrawal . Pretty much any chicken that has outdoor access will get worms sooner or later. For many it likely causes little trouble unless they get overwhelmed by them.

Wazine 17 in the water one day then 10 days to 2 weeks later follow up with broad spectrum ivermectin, fenbendazole, or which ever other you prefer. The follow up wormers are not sold for chickens but many use sheep, cow, or horse type wormers.

do they free range at all? mine do and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting more eggs . as the count dropped off way before summers end. Grand sons found 2 nests in the tall grass. 18 eggs in 1 and 20 eggs in the other. you might want to look around.
lol.png

I bought Wazine 17 and it clearly stated that it is NOT for use on Layers used for consumption. I decided not to use it. Any thoughts?

Quote:
There's a 14 day withholding period prior to slaughter, after that you can eat the chicken (cooked of course.) So, if it's safe to eat after 14 days after using wazine, then the eggs are safe to eat after 14 days as well....14 days is the normal egg withdrawal time for most wormers including wazine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

Yes, they free ranged all summer. But, no, there are no hidden nests, we've been looking since July -- they'd have rotted and exploded by now
wink.png
That was our greatest fear, that we'd find a nest by smell
sickbyc.gif

So, Wazine 17 - 1 oz. per gallon of water. Then 10 days later broad spectrum ivermectin or fenbendazole -- can I find these all at Rural King or Tractor Supply pretty readily. I could just go ahead and do this without taking the poo to be tested, right? Or will it harm them if they are worm-free?

It shouldn't harm them, and it is unlikely they are worm free; most chickens have at least a few. But then, it's not hard to miss molting in birds that don't lose huge numbers of feathers. They are the right general age. And what about shorter days? Do you use added light?

Quote:
I recommend you purchase Safeguard (fenbendazole) equine paste wormer at TSC. It's a yellow/green toothpaste looking box. If you use the Safeguard, there will be no need to take a poop sample to the vet. Dosage is a "pea" size amount for each chicken. You can put it on a small piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken.

Back
Top Bottom