What might have caused this? GRAPHIC processed cockerel picture heavy

HorseFeatherz NV

Eggink Chickens
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Sierra Foothills of Reno, NV
Young cockerel – hatched beginning of July – processed today. Free ranged with the main flock, same flock he was hatched into. Flock raiser, home mixed whole grain scratch – safflower, sunflower, boss, white wheat, whole oats, millet – plus household scraps.

No noticeable bruising on his back – or any place on the body, like he might have if he had been in a fight or disciplined by the head roo. He looked fine internally otherwise. Not overly fat – but with a small cavity reserve – not thin or underdeveloped.

I have not seen this in any of the other cockerels or roosters that I have processed. The “discoloration” seems to have been moving to the other testis – his right, our left.

The only thing different about this cockerel – he is one of two chicks raised by a call duck, the other a pullet. The duck hatched a bunch – 8 but I gave 6 to another broody chicken to mother – none of the other “duck hatched – chicken raised” cockerels were like this. Ducks and the main flock “live” together – they share a coop/run and all free range on 11 desert acres from sunup to sundown.

31162_dsc_0571.jpg

31162_dsc_0572.jpg

31162_dsc_0573.jpg

The other side.

31162_dsc_0574.jpg

hu.gif

Weird! Cut the testicle open and take a pic. I have never seen such a dark testicle, and Ive butchered 100's of roos.

How very strange. Looks normal except for the color. Doesn't look infected, or necrotic. Hmmmmm........maybe it was lack of normal blood flow, but usually things would tend to have a blue hue. I dunno, but strange how the other testicle showed a little bit of graying as well. It looks pigmented. Sure would be interesting to find out.

Does he have any silkie in him? my black silkie roos that I had to cull had black testicles, I think this may be pigment, they don't look diseased, as he matured further they probably both would have gone grey.

Back
Top Bottom