I guess this answers my question for Eastlake Ohio - Now what?

KellynMikes

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 22, 2010
Eastlake Ohio
Does this really meant that we cannot have a backyard garden too unless we have 10 acres??? I don't think ANYBODY in Eastlake has 10 acres!

1145.02 SCHEDULE OF PERMITTED BUILDINGS AND USES.
(a) S-5 District (Suburban "5" District).

(1) Permitted main buildings and uses.

One-family dwellings.

Agricultural uses, such as farming, truck gardening and nurseries.

The raising of domestic animals, fowl and bees is not permitted on lots of less than ten acres.

Parks and other public recreation uses.

Institutions, churches, schools and publicly-owned buildings.

Public utilities, water and gas mains and conduits, telephone,

telegraph, electric light and power lines if carrying less than 5,000 volts are permitted on public highways or easements along lot lines of a subdivision.

Looks like you can still have a garden if it is just for noncommercial use. As far the the chickens go, sounds like you need to make a date with city council...get all your ducks (err chickens) lined up first and keep us posted.

Quote:
This is a list of permitted uses. In other words the uses are allowed unless noted. Permitted uses are allowed with no additional permits. Check the Conditional or Special Uses and see if the uses in italics above are conditional or special uses. Also make sure you are in the "S-5" zoning district. Also the language should be better explained in the definition portion of the regs. Look up the definition of domestic animals. If it is defined it could mean you cannot have pets including dogs and cats. You can plow your land, sell produce or have a christmas tree mursey or farm, you just can't have critters.

Quote:
That's not true you can have a commercial truck garden or you could plant corn or soybeans or raise trees for sale. Those are permitted uses. Just no critters.

Just emailed City Council President for clarification. I've read the ordinance over and over again. The way this is written for our city, it DOES seem you can't have any pets, dogs & cats included. Surrounding cities (Willowick, Willoughby, and Wickliffe) do not have anything on the books prohibiting chickens, only that they do not create a nuisance....

What a waste of effort! If I would've done more digging on my own I would've found out that we DONT EVEN LIVE IN an S-5 district! That means, as far as I could tell - chickens are not prohibited!!!! I guess it's time to look at where to buy and coop designs
smile.png

Quote:
What district do you live in? Be sure to check the zoning specifics for your zoning district.

We live in the R-60 District. There isn't any specific restrictions listed in the city ordinances for our district for "fowl".

How much land do you have and are you in a subdivision? Ohio law allows keeping animals on more than 5 acres but you have to get a zoning variance for it if the city has an ordinance against livestock. Also by Ohio law you are allowed to keep bees on properties of over 1 acre.

Back
Top Bottom