show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics

math ace

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I am reactivating this thread - - -

I have three groups of young speckled sussex (ss) from two different places. The chicks are young 7 weeks - 3 months.
I am going to invite some folks over to this thread to help me learn what to look for with speckled sussex.

My birds may not be show quality, but I can still learn from them . . . . .

My focus is still on breeding or finding show quality speckled sussex. . . .

I hope some knowledgable people will join us and show us what we need to look for when deciding who to cull and who to keep in our flocks.

If you have an interest in speckled sussex, specifically breeding show quality speckled sussex - - COME JOIN US!

GENERAL SCALE OF POINTS FOR SHOWING . .. . .

Total Possible SHAPE Color
Symmetry 4 4

Weight or Size 4 4

Condition and Vigor 10 10

Comb 5 5

Beak 3 2 1

Skull and Face 4 3 1

Eyes 4 2 2

Wattles 2 2

Earlobes 4 2 2

Neck 6 1 5

Back 12 (WOW) 6 6

Tail 8 4 4

Wings 8 3 5

Breast 10 5 5

Body and Fluff 8 5 3

Legs and Toes 8 5 3

TOTAL 100 pts possible 63 for SHAPE 37 for COLOR

STANDARDS - -

DISQUALIFICATIONS:

Yellow skin, shanks, or feet.
Combs: Side Sprigs
COMBS: Lopped Single Comb - - SLIGHTLY lopped comb in female at or near production is not penalized
COMBS: Split combs
TAIL - Split Tail
Tail: Wry Tail
Tail: Rumpless
Tail: Squirrel tail
Tail: twisted feathers
Shanks: Bow leg
Shanks: Knock Knee
Toes: Web foot

FAULTS
Combs: TWISTED comb in front
COMBS: Irregular serration of comb
Combs: Thumb mark
Wattles: Coarse Wrinkled Wattles
Earlobs: Loosely- fitted lobes
WEIGHT - - More than 1 pound over standard or any under standard
Tail - Pinched
TOES: Crooked toe
FEATHERS - - FROSTING Fault Per Section

Standard Of Perfection.....
WEIGHTS: Hen 7 lbs, Pullet 6 lbs, Cock 9 lbs, Cockerel 7 1/2 lbs.

COLOR - MALE
Comb, Face, Wattles, and ear-lobes: Bright Red
Beak: Horn
Eyes: Reddish Bay
Head: PLUMAGE, lustrous mahogany bay, EACH feather tipped with white, a NARROW black bar dividing the white from balance of feather.
Neck: HACKLE, lustrous mahogany bay, each feather having a narrow black stripe in lower half of web, the black stripe decreasing in width near end of feather
and then branching off to outer edge of each side of shaft near point. POINT OF FEATHER distinctly marked with diamond shaped white spangle.
BACK and Saddle ..... SAME as Hackle
Tail: Main tail feathers --- BLACK and WHITE
Sickles, Coverts, and smaller coverts - - - Lustrous, greenish black tipped with white
Wngs:
Fronts and Bows: Lustrous mahogany bay each feather tipped with white, a narrow elongated V shaped black bar dividing white from balance of feather
Coverts: Mahogany bay, each feather tipped with a large white spangle, a black bar dividing the white from balance of feather.
Primaries - - black and white
Secondaries - - outer web, bay edged with white
inner web, black edged with white, each feather ending with a white spangle
Breast:
Mahogany bay, each feather tipped with white, a black bar dividing the white from balance of feather
Body and fluff:
BODY - SAME as BREAST
FLUFF - Slaty Brown
Legs and TOES:
Lower Thighs - Same as BREAST.... except it is specified NARROW black bar
Shanks and Toes - - Pinkish white

UNDERCOLOR of all sections: SLATE, shading to salmon, the salmon shading to light gray at base.

SHAPE of MALE

Comb - - Single Comb... Medium in Size, set firmly on head, perfectly straight and upright, having five well defined points those in front and rear being
smaller than those in the middle. Fine in texture. blade following curve of neck.

Beak - - Stout, rather short, slightly curved
Face - - Surface smooth, skin fine and soft in texture
Eyes - - Large round prominent
Wattles - - Medium in Size. equal in length, well rounded at lower edges
Ear lobes - - medium in size, ovel, smooth
Head - moderately large, broad, medium in length
Neck - medium in length, slightly arched, having abundant hackle flowing well over shoulders.
Back - - Long, Flat broad its entire length, sloping slightly to tail
Saddle feathers - - of med length, abundant and filline well in frount of tail.
Tail -- Of med length, well spread, - - > 45 degree above horizontal
Main tail feathers - - Broad and overlapping
Main sickle - - of medium length, well curved extending slightly beyond mail tail feathers.
Lesser sickle and coverts - - of med length
Wings - - Rather long, well folded, carried closely to body without dropping
Points well covered with saddle feathers.
Breast - - Broad, deep rounding nicely into body
Body - Long Broad Deep
Fluff - Moderately full, fitting closely to body
Legs - - Legs set well apart straight when viewed from front.
Lower Thighs - Stout Of Med Length
Shanks - - med length, rather stout
Toes - - four on each foot, of med length, straight, well spread.

This is a 1920's Sewell print
sussexprint.jpg

Hope these will be useful in our discussions......

Around page 19 of this thread. . .we start our discussion on the head with the following specifications

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
Does Rareroo show his SS ? ?

I am hoping to find someone that has shown their stock or gotten their stock from someone who did show them . . .

Of course, what I am hoping for and what is going to happen may be two totally different things
wink.png

Last edited:
No I have never shown anything before an sadly have never even been to a show before, but compared to what I've seen I would like to think this roo may have given some competion, unfortuately I lost him a few months ago but he was an awesome roo.
37373_110_5776.jpg

I personally have never saw any Show Quality Speckled Sussex to even know what they would look like so if any of you has at least a picture of a SQ SS, I would love to see it. But I do think I have a some pretty decent birds and hope improve on them even more in the next couple years.

Quote:
PM'd you with Gary's info.

If that doesn't work out, I have a guy near me that has been on Champion row several times with his.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Quote:
PM'd you with Gary's info.

If that doesn't work out, I have a guy near me that has been on Champion row several times with his.

I would like this contact info also if one of you would please PM it to me. Thanks​

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry about your loss. I have seen very few pictures of show quality SS. I don't know if that is because not the many are shown or if there aren't that many trying to meet the standards.

I do wish we could get some good pictures and discussion going about show quality SS. I have marans and the marans thread does a really good job of critiquing birds and teaching the standard. I've have learned so much on the that thread.

Due to the lack of info on SS, I really want to start with good stock. If I purchase from some one with proven show quality, then they can help me keep the quality improving through the next generation breeder.

Well, 5 months have gone by since I started my search and today I will post some pics of the stock I found. . .

First some pictures of 1 day old speckled sussex

The two chipmunk brown ones in the back are speckled sussex

IMG_1838.jpg

NEXT - - WHAT GENDER IS IT ? ?
I see this question all the time so let me post some pics at 7 weeks of age

This is a cockerel

IMG_1844.jpg

This is a pullet

IMG_1852.jpg

Back
Top Bottom