Bobwhite quail incubating

minihorse927

Whipper snapper
11 Years
Nov 3, 2010
I was wondering about incubating bobwhites. I have some I am bidding on (hoping to win) and was wondering do they incubate about the same as button quail? I have incubated buttons for someone else a long time ago and hatched out 17 out of 20 eggs so I thought I did pretty decent.
I know the bobwhites tend to be aggressive, especially males.

They do NOT hatch like buttons. They normally take around 23 days to hatch. As chicks you should use a red heat lamp to prevent pecking. You go into lockdown at day 20 or so.

Quote:
YES AND NO... ALL EGGS INCUBATE IN THE SAME MANNER.. BUT TIMES AND HUMIDITY PREFERENCES VARY BY SPECES. BASICALLY THE BOBS WILL INCUBATE JUST LIKE BUTTONS ONLY YOUR TIME TABLE WILL BE LONGER 23=24 DAYS ON BOBS. SET 100.5 STILL AIR/ 99.5 FORCED AIR, 40-50% HUMIDITY THRU INCUBATION, LOCKDOWN LAST 3 DAYS- STOP TURNING AND BOOST HUMIDITY 55% OR HIGHER. I RECOMEND HATCHING IN THE UPRIGHT POSSITION AS IT HELPS AND INCREASES YOUR HATCH RATE. FERTILITY AND HATCHABILITY ON BOBS THIS TIME OF YEAR WILL BE LOWER.

For The Record Bobs Are Agressive.... All Bobs, Irreguardless Of Sex. In Fact As Adults Hens Tend To Be Nastier Than Roos Unless Its Roo Vs Roo At Breeding Time. Hens Are Evil Little Witches 24/7/365 Irreguardless Of Season

I figured they had the same humidity requirements as the buttons did. That was my main worry was humidity, I figured temp was suppose to be 99.5 and I knew they took longer but was not sure how much longer than the buttons. Thank you.
I did not get the joy of raising the buttons, just hatched them out and then my friend came and got them when they were all done hatching. I always use red heat lamps on my chicks so I already have that one covered. I learned the hard way with chickens a few years ago when I first started with them that letting them hatch on their sides was a mistake. I usually lost more than I hatched at the very end. I hatch everything upright now and have 90% or higher hatch rates most of the time. In the winter months I get the occasional 80%. That is of course chicken eggs, this will now be my second batch of quail ever so we will see how it goes.

thumbsup.gif

YOU GOT IT DOWN PRETTY GOOD... JUST DONT GET UPSET IF FERTILITY SUX ON THEM... ITS USUALLY NOT GREAT WHEN OUTSIDE OF REGULAR BREEDING SEASON. BOBS ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN COTURNIX IN THAT MANY STRAINS LAYING CAN BE INDUCED WITH HEAT/ LIGHT BUT FERTILITY WILL NOT BE AS GOOD UNLIKE COTURNIX EGGS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BATCH

Well as long as no one else bids on these I will have about $14 in at least 15 eggs, so if I lose out on them I won't be to worried about it. They are coming out of Florida if I remember correctly so maybe fertility will be a little better this way. Heck I can not remember now, maybe the button eggs were from Florida?
I am also trying to get some buttons for myself to hatch AND raise this time to see if I like them for myself.
No one else around here messes with quail, when I asked they all looked at me like I was crazy.

I have an egg from my adult GG bobwhites. It has been in the incubator for 30 days. I put it in on April 4 straight from the nest. I had candled it and it was developing well. should I candle it again since it is past the hatch date? or since it went in the incubator straight from the nest will it a more time?

Back
Top Bottom