Plans for Nesting Boxes

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Hello,
We are looking for some plans for indoor nesting boxes for our new coop, not accessible from the outside.
6 boxes, 3 over 3

Send me any pictures or plans you may have....
thanks very much !!!

Happy New Year !!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Very nice basic design ... Does anyone line their nest boxes with linoleum/vinyl flooring or use plastic tubs ?

old.gif

Quote:
If you want something easy to clean, don't build nest boxes at all, use kitty litter boxes or plastic bins or 5 gallon buckets on their side (cut a bunch of the lid away and put it back to hold the nesting material in.) You can buy plastic bins for a few bucks at WalMart or the like, with an open top; I have one and it is a great broody/mama with babies nest, plus movable, which is great for broodies. Some hens like a more hidden nest and some prefer the open top style. You can also pick up a couple of cardboard boxes and try them, on their side or with the top open, or old dresser drawers (makes a great communal nest.) Many people have stuff lying around to make a variety of styles; you can see what your birds like best. I have 4 different kinds in my coop and they never lay eggs on the floor -- I suspect because there are some choices.

I've never spent money on a nest box -- there has always been something lying around.

We need to mount these 6 boxes on the wall, the 5 gallon buckets, or the plastic bins would work if we just put up two shelfs to hold them. Couple of good suggestions ..
bun.gif

Quote:
I believe I read that 5 laying hens to one nest box .... unless of course you have some hens you are going to let brood

Back
Top Bottom