Meyer Hatchery's Meal Maker Program

billfields

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
East Tennessee
I'm planning to order chicks from Meyer next week. Anyone had experience with their Meal Maker program? Sounds like a great idea, they send you a free chick and you agree to raise it and then to donate the eggs or the meat to someone in need. My biggest question is whether you choose to raise for meat or eggs. I very much like the idea of donating eggs but I don't want to have an extra rooster that requires me having to deal with a trip to freezer camp for someone in my first bunch of chicks. I don't remember seeing this when I looked at their catalog last year so maybe it is a new program??

This is a new program. I saw it too when I got my catalog. I think it is a great idea for giving back to the community. I called them but I guess they are on vacation until after the new year. So I will call again early next week. I already placed my order so I am hoping to add this program to my order.

I'm thinking they will probably be open on Monday. Planning to place my order then. I expect to have extra eggs anyway and had planned to give my surplus to a local emergency shelter program for elderly folks but I like the way this kinds formalized it. From the hatchery's perspective I suppose it is not really different from the "mystery chick" ---still a free chick---but it adds some social responsibility to it. I think that's a great idea. Generally I am pretty impressed with Meyer and most of what I hear about them on here is positive as well.

I had the same question so I went to their website and typed in the item # for the free chick - MMMF- and it says that is the Meyer Meal Maker female. The other choice is MMMS which is straight run.

I also think it's a great idea and plan to include one in my order on Monday. The website also indicates they have been closed over the holidays.

Quote:
Great!! I'm for sure doing it then. Wonder what breed....that could be the fun "mystery chick" part. I'll be ordering on Monday too!

Ordered today. They told me that generally the chick is female. No idea what kind so it is a "mystery chick" but she said they would usually try for a good egg producer. It certainly sounds like a pretty good program, a nice twist on the the free chick thing. do be aware that if you want the chick vaccinated you do have to pay for that.

Wondering if anyone else had ordered through Meyer and gotten the Meyer Meal Maker? I am open to the idea of taking an otherwise unwanted chick and homing it this way, but I live in VT where it is cold and am not wanting anything like a Polish, or a Fayoumi or anything else that is high maintenance or not well suited to our cold & wet weather. Are they fairly good at matching breeds to owners?

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone else had ordered through Meyer and gotten the Meyer Meal Maker? I am open to the idea of taking an otherwise unwanted chick and homing it this way, but I live in VT where it is cold and am not wanting anything like a Polish, or a Fayoumi or anything else that is high maintenance or not well suited to our cold & wet weather. Are they fairly good at matching breeds to owners?
I have not received mine, but I am sure that they will give you a meat or an awesome egg layer that can stand some cold. Hopefully they care a little bit and do not send you a bird that is not cold hardy.

Back
Top Bottom