At what age do you wean goats???

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I am curious as to what age goats are supposed to be weaned from their momma's. We have two 6 week old goats (just found out their age today) and I'm not certain that they are supposed to be away from their momma yet. I had no idea they were that young when I bought them a week ago. They are doing great and eating lots, so I guess they will be fine. I am just a bit frustrated that they sold them to me so young.
hmm.png
At the time I bought them, they couldn't exactly remember how old they were and said that they would get back to me on it.

I wean mine by weight. They will usually start to nibble on grass and hay earlier, but I get serious about weaning when they reach 2 1/2 times their birth weight. For example, a kid is 8 lbs at birth, I'll start to wean when it reaches 20 lbs.

As long as yours are eating and acting OK, don't worry. They'll be fine. Have fun and good luck!
smile.png

I would never wean that early. If it is a doe or wether that I am keeping I generally wean around 3-4 months old, if it is a buckling or a kid I have sold I will wean at 9-10 weeks.

I use to keep weight charts on my kids and I just looked them over, if I weaned by weight I would be weaning between 3 and 5 weeks! I'd never wean that early!! I generally only weigh at birth now, but I'd bet my 5 week old triplets are over twice their birth weight now!

I am brand new to goats, but pretty much the same thing happened to me. I got a doeling that was 6 weeks at the time and now two weeks later she is thriving. Live and learn eh? Anyhow, wanted to let you know there is someone in the same boat and we are doing fine so far.

I've got 3 bottle wethers. Billy is 7 wks today, Howie and Cowie are 5 wks, they are beginning to be weaned now. First stage, 14 oz in am and pm. 20 oz for lunch and alfalfa hay and medicated pellets for them to nibble all day. They are so happy and healthy I guess it works for them. Of course, they would eat all day so I watch them and only give them a half a flake of hay in am and let them nibble on that all day. Everyone is different though.

I will go down slowly on their am and pm feeding leaving their big meal at noon. After a couple weeks I will do away with their am and pm feedings altogether and then they will have lunch for 2 more wks. Then no more bottle.
roll.png

Last edited:
kids can be weaned at 3 months of age.or when they are eating enough feed hay an grass to sustain themselves.

Quote:
Thank you for the encouragement! I had no idea when I bought them. We do love them though and I believe that their circumstances here are much better than they were where they came from. Here's a pic of our babies!
DSC01785.jpg

Quote:
They eat TONS of feed, grass, and some timothy hay. I just feel bad that we took them away from their momma so early. At least they do have a good home here and are very loved!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom