Arapahoe County, Colorado

kaykota2

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
We are looking at buying a house in the Unincorporated part of Arapahoe County (half acre siding to a horse property). I called the zoning office at County to inquire about keeping chickens. He told me that they are in the planning stages of addressing this issue but at the moment this home was not zoned for chickens. I did ask if he gets many of these calls to keep backyard chickens, and he said I was his first.

If you live in Arapahoe County or Unincorporated Arapahoe County, and are interested in keeping chickens, now would be the time to start calling and requesting the law to be changed. If they see there is a demand, I would think they would be more apt to vote for these changes. If there is no demand, then why bother? Unless they are interested in becoming more in line with the surrounding areas that do allow unpermited backyard chickens such as Highlands Ranch and the City of Littleton itself and hopefully soon, Denver.

He said they are hoping to have something in place in the next 6 months but that is risky for me if we buy this place because what if they don't adopt the new policy? He advised me to keep an eye on the meeting agendas and study session where they post what they will discuss to keep up with where it is at in the process.

Any thoughts?

For pitty's sake ... he's full of bull! When we were looking to buy a house, I contacted every county surrounding Denver within 100 miles and called to find out regulations regarding chickens and goats.

Hope you can get it done. There's a lot of info on this board and other places to help people argue the case ... like hens don't need roosters to lay eggs (you'd be surprised how many government people think you do!), that they are less noisy than a barking dog, hens very seldom make noise at night, etc.

Good luck!

I just started email conversation with the Zoning Admin, Tammy King yesterday. So far sounds like I could only keep 3 quails indoor as pet. However, rabbit in backyard should still be alright. 0_o

For pitty's sake ... he's full of bull! When we were looking to buy a house, I contacted every county surrounding Denver within 100 miles and called to find out regulations regarding chickens and goats.

Hope you can get it done. There's a lot of info on this board and other places to help people argue the case ... like hens don't need roosters to lay eggs (you'd be surprised how many government people think you do!), that they are less noisy than a barking dog, hens very seldom make noise at night, etc.

Good luck!

So what were your findings on Douglas County?

I'd hate to go through all the work of buying a house and then going to the meetings and everything just to have everything end in such a way that you can't have chickens. Currently in Arapahoe county, I believe houses zone R-A (2.41+ acres) are the smallest that you can have chickens. Chickens (as well as goats, rabbits, etc) were important to us, so we made sure we bought a place that would work.

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone has done anything recent with this issue? We currently live in unincorporated Arapahoe county and found out we weren't allowed to have chickens. I spoke in depth with Mary from zoning and she said we will have to get the county commissioners to change the law, which they wouldn't consider doing back in 2011 when another group of people tried. I have emailed all of them and have yet to hear back on what the first step is. Any advice on what to do next???

All I know is that we had 4 chickens. We live across the street from cows! HOA has a problem with them, as does Arapahoe CO. We kept them until a neighbor (from another block) turned us in because they bothered him. My neighbors on both sides of me loved them!

Hi there, I am right along with everyone on the chicken issues and have talked to several people on here about them. I reside in the City of Aurora and like you cannot keep chickens unless we are zoned for it. I am trying to come up with info to put in a letter to our city council (I happen to live in Ward 5 and Bob Roth is our council man who I will be trying to contact). As a matter of fact Aurora has a forum of its own on here but i thought Id chime in and tell ou all my issues are quite like yours. When will our city and county change with the times....along time ago it was thought of dirty and cowtownish now its greener living. Lets get this changed NOW!! Thanks V~

Hi Everyone!

So I heard back today from my commissioner Nancy Sharpe, I posted her email below. If anyone can help show support by writing or calling the commissioners in unicorporated Arapahoe county that would be very helpful. I need to show them that there are lots of people in the area who want chickens or are ok with fellow neighbors having them. The email address to all the commissioners is [email protected]. Thanks!

Hello Nicole,
I apologize for the delay in getting back with you about a zoning change to allow backyard chickens. You demonstrate some very good reasons for eating eggs that raised in healthy conditions and are nutritious. In the fall of 2011, our Board did consider changing the zoning in the unincorporated areas of Arapahoe County but decided not to make those changes because, although there are people like you all who want the zoning changes, there are also many others that did not. It has been a while since we had that discussion and we have two new board members so I would be happy to raise the issue again and let you know the outcome.
Sincerely,
Nancy

Nancy N. Sharpe
Arapahoe County
Commissioner
District 2

Back
Top Bottom