Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Different Tractor Supply Stores sell different chicks. The one where I live only sells Production Reds, Leghorns and "assorted" bantams. Not a good selection at all.
hmm.png

Maybe you could drive down to your local TSS and just ask 'em; I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you.
big_smile.png

It depends. Corporate strikes deals with hatcheries across the country for regional contracts. Different stores will carry different types of chicks depending on their location, customer base, usual chick sales, which hatchery they're contracted with this year, etc.

The dates of chick days also varies. Some stores already have chicks in, some will not start carrying them for a few more weeks.

Our Tractor Supply is very limited in what it carries. Their chicks arrive on 2/28 and, when I asked about what breeds would be available, they sent me to the Tractor Supply web site (tractorsupply.com) and told me to download the order form. It's the same order form for all Tractor Supply locations throughout the US. The form includes "Safe Handling Instructions," "Caring for your new chicks," "Supplies Check List," and then the actual birds available:

Golden-Laced Wyandottes
Silver-Laced Wyandottes
Barred Rocks
Cornish Rocks
Rhode Island Reds
New Hampshire Reds
Black Sex Links
Gold Sex Links
Buff Orpingtons
Black Australorps
White Leghorn
Danish Brown Leghorn
Ameraucanas
White Plymouth Rocks
White Turkeys
Bronze Turkeys
White Pekin Ducks
Mallard Ducks
Khaki Campbells

Also "Bantam Special" and "Assorted Duck."

They didn't say whether I could turn this form in as a pre-order, or whether I was supposed to mail it in. The form does say "Selections: Breed/Gender Must Be Purchased in Multiples of 5 And Must Total 25 Or More." Which is confusing, because I heard you could just pick what you want of what is in store. Confusing. We decided to avoid Tractor Supply and go through a hatchery instead. I'll still probably go take a peek, though!

No, no ornamental or rare chicks.
sad.png
If they did, I'd be there in a heartbeat! Still, I wonder what they include in their Bantam special. Bantam varieties of larger chickens? Old English? Wish they had more details!

Quote:
Good luck since the people working there probably will have no idea. They sure don't at the local one. That being said the 6 sexed pullets that I got from them last spring were 3 SS, 2 production reds and a white rock. Sexing was correct and the birds are doing well. Just remember that because someone works for a feed store that doesn't mean they know a darn thing about chickens.

ETA: Here they were as pullets last spring.
62375_img_1884.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom