Shamo? Anyone.

FrozenChef

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Wausau
I would like to find out more about the breed Shamo. what is its pros and cons? Is a hard breed to raise? stuff like that.

They're very easy to breed, however raising depends on where you are. In colder climates, they require TLC through heat lamps, etc. Though who knows, they may make it. Out where I am, temps rarely exceed 75 degrees, and in the winter are always around 35-45. It doesn't get freezing too often, and my Shamos are out 24/7 in whatever nature gives them. . . But I do have some heatlamps in their coop.

With their slow growth, they require certain things like enough room to roam so their bones and legs grow properly, broad perches to prevent bent breastbone issues, and slow set perches to prevent fractures. They get leggy, and they don't stop growing well beyond 8 months, so there's a decent amount of care that goes into them, like any other large breed.

Otherwise, they're very good foragers, they're pretty broody and not only make good mothers but also flock protectors, and they're great vermin control too!

My only pair for the moment follow me around all over the place, the stag especially. I don't think I've known a more friendly, intelligent, and calm breed. But, one thing is certain - Do not have males together. Even if you've got a young stag and a larger, older breed with spurs beyond an inch long. . . . The one to worry about is the larger rooster.

I think everything is a pro, except the inability to keep males together (which to many, doesn't matter) and the care they need, which is needed for any large breed, really. To my very limited experience, they also make good meat projects when crossed with more "normal" postured breeds, especially large ones. Despite their skinny appearance, Shamos are very well muscled, and feel like a brick. Even as a young 2 week old chick, they feel like little rocks compared to other chicks. Put a little more horizontal stature and general compact size in there, and you've got a very Cornish-looking bird.

Thanks! Now I see that some hatcheries say they have "shamo" but I have been told they are usaully crossed with something. How would I find a good hatchery or what I would rather do is find a Breeder.

Some hatcheries claim they have them, but they only offer this claim through mixed assortments and the sort. I've even asked a couple and they apologized for putting the claim, as they actually didn't carry them.

Still, I say go with a breeder. I've yet to see an Oriental Gamefowl of any sort come out of a hatchery and look or act like one.

I will admit, I've got some hatching eggs up for auction ending soon, but there's also several other people here who've much more experience in this wonderful breed than I.
smile.png

Yeah I'm new to the whole raising show poultry, and I think hatching eggs are out of my skills at the moment lol. I haven't found a website for shamos. is there not one? like the Ameraucanas have one.

Bring on the Shamo Talk!!!!!!!!!!!
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif

I loves me these birds...lot and lots of stuff! Can't wait to get some started birds from Illia! I'm so excited to have the chance to raise some of these magnificant birds. Something about them just pulls at me very hard...I must have them.
smile.png

Me too but I am going to get my pen ready first. I don't hatch eggs though so I am going to have to find some birds within driving distance!
sharon

Love my Shamos, as stated they make great broodies, nice eye candy and plenty of meat on the bone for culled birds. They are game (or should be above all else in my opinion). I live in south Florida so it does not get cold enough to mention but they do fine with the heat and humidity? The hens do produce fair amount of eggs but it is not a leghorn. Pics to follow

Back
Top Bottom