Can a metal shed be used as a coop?

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I found a metal shed on craigslist for $40, seems in ok condition. Do you think its ok for a coop, or should I stick with the pallet coop plan?

Make sure you have a lot of ventalation. We lost a couple of girls last summer in ours because of the heat. that was with vents and the entire front opened up. Our temps do get over 100* daily here in the summer though. We tore ours down and built a new coop after that, but it was always meant to be temporary

Last edited:
I think it would be awesome. Just keep it cool in summer. Just like an outside coop can get hot, so can a metal one. You can fill 2 litre plastic bottles with water, freeze them and place them inside the shed. The chickens will lay up against them to keep cool. You just need to have two sets so that you can freeze one overnight, while the others keep them cool. It works great.
smile.png

Ventilation is also going to be important in winter or you could get condensation on the inside surfaces of the metal. I think I recall recommendations here to insulate a metal roof to deal with this issue...anyone recall?

Back
Top Bottom