African Geese: Opinions wanted!

SunnyCalifornia

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Escondido CA
DH would like to get a goose to be our backyard sentry. We have a small flock of LF chickens, that I'd like to let free range more often, but I worry about the local hawks. Our thinking is that a big goose or two, along with our dogs, might deter them?

He liked the Super African Goose from the Metzer Hatchery catalog. He likes that they are big and noisy, but I have no goose experience at all.

Before we buy, I'd love to hear your opinions on
1. Our idea to keep a goose-guard
2. The choice of breed?
3. Any issues/difficulties in raising Geese?

Thanks!

Geese and turkeys both are great and keeping away hawks. Africans and Chinese are both very loud and protective. They would be good options. Super Africans are good birds, and I have known some to be very friendly as well. I would think that Africans, like Toulouse, because of their size might have weight problems. You would have to be careful that they dont over eat and hurt their joints with too much weight. Geese get protective during breeding season and will probably stay close to home by their nest during that time, and the flock of birds would be left without protection. (This is where turkeys would be a good option. As well as a tasty one.
tongue.png
).

Hope this helps,
Sierra

I've had African, Embden, and Pomeranian

I personally like the poms best, even when the girls are brooding, they don't attack. the African gander only got feisty in the spring, now the embden I would never get again both girls and boys nasty, I also use geese as hawk and owl deterrents

Last edited:
African geese are VERY noisy, I had to sell mine because you couldn't hear anything but them if you were outside! It didn't help that they were 'people raised' and constantly by my side.

I think Africans are a fine choice. I have four and they are perfect. I ordered a pair of Supers from Metzers and getting them in one month so I can't comment there.

They are noisey...but mine are very tame and when I'm out there they are just trying to talk to me and if I give them a minute to tell me what they have to say they quiet right down. I'm just entering into my first breeding season so can't comment to much there. But mine have been breeding for sure and today I got my first egg and I didn't notice anthing different with any of their personalities. I took the egg I'm going to use my incubator instead of let anyone sit on any eggs.

My girls are great at killing any kind of predator. I've seen them rip apart mice and rats in a fun game of tug of war. And I have a hawk that sits in the tree and watches and so badly wants to enjoy my birds...but (knock on wood) haven't lost a single one to a hawk yet.

And really they are so beautiful.....how couldn't you love a goosey like this
love.gif

47663_shrek.jpg

47663_022.jpg

Africans make great sentries. They like to chitter chatter alot, but when something alarms them its LOUD. I have 3 Embdens, 2 Africans and a Grey and I really love the look of the Africans. You really need at least two. A solo goose is a lonely goose. They much prefer to be in a flock.
My embdens have scared off bald eagles, so I certainly wouldn't be worried about hawks with the Africans.

LOL, I'm only 6 hours south of them!! I'm thinking ROAD TRIP!! Looks like their first availability is April. Maybe a spring break trip??

I think they only sell them in pairs or straight run. DH only wanted one female.....Do I take my chances and get just one straight run? Or do I get a pair, and let them have buddies.

Back
Top Bottom