leg color genetics?

syble

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
michigan
I'm sure i will miss some, but there are blue/slate legs, white(pink) legs, green(willow) legs and yellow legs, oh and black like silkies... Are there any other colors to worry about and more importantly, which are dominant?
Thanks
Sib

The black of Silkies is just from dark pigmentation. I believe they're normally slate, but don't quote me on that.

I know White is dominant, at least over yellow and slate. I believe there's some sex-linking going on with slate and yellow? Or some other similar color combo. . .

I honestly can't help you beyond that. My findings with leg color genetics are usually with personal experience. I believe slate is dominant to yellow or willow.

White, Yellow, Green and Blue.

IF the birds that are being bred are pure to leg color then White for the most part is Dominant and will block out other leg color.

Chris

Last edited:
so willow would be at about the bottom of the totem pole for dominance then? like the most recessive and incapable of carrying another color?
Thanks
Sib

Quote:
Leg color -
Rooster Hen Pullet Cockerel
W G W W
W Y W W
W B W W
W W W W
B W B W
Y W W W
G W Y W

W=White G=Green Y=Yellow B=Blue

Chris

Last edited:
Leg color -
Rooster Hen Pullet Cockerel
W G W W
W Y W W
W B W W
W W W W
B W B W
Y W W W
G W Y W

W=White G=Green Y=Yellow B=Blue

Chris

Sorry i think i need a bit more to go off not sure what that is? is that a pairing and then the off spring or???​

OK, lets try this.

A rooster with white legs bred to hen with green legs will give you pullets and cockerels with white leg,
A rooster with white legs bred to hen with yellow legs will give you pullets and cockerels with white leg,
A rooster with white legs bred to hen with blue legs will give you pullets and cockerels with white leg,
A rooster with white legs bred to hen with white legs will give you pullets and cockerels with white leg,
A rooster with blue legs bred to hen with white legs will give you pullets blue legs and cockerels with white leg, (Sex-linked for leg color)
A rooster with yellow legs bred to hen with white legs will give you pullets and cockerels with white leg,
A rooster with green legs bred to hen with white legs will give you pullets with yellow legs and cockerels with white leg, (Sex-linked for leg color)

Chris

Chris, I don't think the last one is correct.

Yellow skin is recessive and birds with green legs have yellow skin with the slate legs which = green.

You must have two copies of the yellow skin gene for it to appear in offspring, so a rooster with green legs bred to anything with white legs = white legs on the offspring. The chicken calculator even confirms this.

pips&peeps :

Chris, I don't think the last one is correct.

Yellow skin is recessive and birds with green legs have yellow skin with the slate legs which = green.

You must have two copies of the yellow skin gene for it to appear in offspring, so a rooster with green legs bred to anything with white legs = white legs on the offspring. The chicken calculator even confirms this.

It may depend on the breed and how "pure" it is.
I believe in game fowl if you cross a rooster with green legs (green legged Hatch) bred to hen with white legs (Asil) this will give you pullets with yellow legs and cockerels with white legs.
If the hen is not pure for leg color you will get Pullets with Green and or Blue legs and Cockerels with Yellow and or White legs.

I got the information of the Reference Chart for Leg Color by Pall Scott.
Ultimate Fowl Wikpedia has the chart on there site under Breeding and genetics, then Leg Color, then at the bottom of the page it says Leg Color Chart. Click it and the Chart will pop up.

Chris​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom