fluctuating temp in styrofoam bator

AR Country Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
I am trying my hand at incubating for the 1st time and am using a styrofoam still air incubator. The variation in temps is freaking me out. I have a wired digital thermometer/hygrometer - the probe thing is attached to a rocker inside and I can see the temps/humidity for inside and outside of the bator. Bator humidity ranges between 45 and 55 depending on the time of day. Seems to be higher in the evening. Bator temps range between 98 and 102 (some readings have been a bit higher). The outside temp doesn't fluctuate that much, since it's in my house. Is this normal? If not, any suggestions on what I can do to regulate it better? I'm planning to candle tonight to see how they look.

how long have your eggs been in the incubator?

I know they say when you first put eggs in the temp fluctuates for a while.

Also, I am trying to regulate the temp in my first styrofoam incubator too, and i was told not to use digital, maybe try to get a different type of thermometer and compare.

My digital bounced all over anytime the cord got moved.

I have an analog thermometer in the bator. The temp on the digital doesn't seem to vary when I move it, just over a period of hours it fluctuates. I can see the history on it and see the high reading and the low reading and there's a 2 or 3 degree variance. I believe I'm getting a true reading - when I check it it generally jives with the analog. Stands to reason that the bator heats to a certain point then the heating element kicks off then heats back up much like the central heat and air in your house. I'm just afraid I'm slowly frying the poor little things.

Quote:
The thermometer/hygrometer is acurite - and yes it's a still air. They have been in there for 5 days.

I wouldn't worry, still airs should run between 100-102, and it's OKAY between 98-99 they may hatch a day late.

I mean the brand of the incubator, lol sorry!

Quote:
The nature of most styrobators is that they can not hold stable temperature or/and humidity, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands posts on this forum to attest that notion.

So if you want good hatches, AND you want to sleep at night instead of watching your Little Giant or else for deadly spikes.....

( By one of the Murfey's laws those spikes happen at night killing your hatch)

free yourself from styrobators, that will be good for your future hatches and your health.

Quote:
The nature of most styrobators is that they can not hold stable temperature or/and humidity, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands posts on this forum to attest that notion.

So if you want good hatches, AND you want to sleep at night instead of watching your Little Giant or else for deadly spikes.....

( By one of the Murfey's laws those spikes happen at night killing your hatch)

free yourself from styrobators, that will be good for your future hatches and your health.

I dont agree with this because i never have fluctuation or spikes with mine, and i get plenty of sleep. I think the key is to have a stable outside environment. I put a polar fleece blanket over it at night and it stays at 100 and I have chicks hatching as we speak

I moved the probe thing to the top of the rocker instead of on the side and it seems more stable now 100.4 to 101.8 Candled last night and I think they're okay. The eggs are Black Copper Maran - they're really dark all I see is a nice big blob at the top - I'm taking that as a good sign. Thanks to all of you for your help!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom