most wanted chickens?

Although I don't raise them, silkies have always been popular.
Marans and Welsummers, especially from reputable breeders that have the consistent dark eggs are also popular.

I think the trend changes. Right now if you check the hatcheries online there are several breeds sold out. I called Privett last week and the lady mentioned they cannot keep Ameraucanas in. Seems green eggs and ham is VERY popular right now.

There are several "fads" with poultry, like a few years ago the BLRW's were selling for loads of money, now they cost the same as any other color. It seems that the breeds that people always want no matter what are the common ones like barred rocks, rhode island reds, sexlinks, cochins and silkies. In our area we have been getting lots of calls for sebrites, and we have been getting tons of emails and calls for our sumatras from the Southeast US. It is always good to keep a pair or trio of the different looking birds like frizzle anything,naked necks, polish, leghorns, and longtails. I agree, lots of people have been wanting the blue and green layers lately, we just bought some silver ameraucanas from a breeder so that we can offer colored egg layers that are showable. Every area is different though, a friend in ND said that alot of people in her area are wanting anything with a rose comb and white eggs. Put an ad on your local craigs list saying something like 'now taking orders for chicks' or something like that, offer to help find people to fill orders if there arent enough for a box full. When they tell you what they want, buy some for yourself.

I looked everywhere I could think of to purchase baby chicks from a backyard breeder rather than going through the hatcheries and could not find a ONE! I think it's great that you are thinking of doing this. Make sure you are easily found when someone googles "baby chicks for sale"! lol I would have purchased from someone like you in a second. Wish there were more in my area selling babies. I was looking for Cochin's and Araucanas/Ameraucanas. Good luck! And happy to see someone doing this in MY state
smile.png

Zatsdeb, where did you get your silver laced wyandottes? She is very nice. With most backyard people in my area, they want layers that look different. We have some show birds that dont lay well so we dont sell many locally, but when we go to shows we sell them for triple what we could sell them for locally.

Depends greatly on where you are and your local market unless you are in to the riskier shipping thing. There can be even seasonal demands. Pullets early spring can go for quite a bit, while that same age pullet in the fall can be much much less.

Back
Top Bottom