Where to keep their food and water

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Hello,

Is it better to keep the chicken's food and water inside the house part of the coop or the run part of coop? It seems like most people put them in the run on cinder blocks or hanging from the roof of the run but I have seen where some people put them in the actual housing part.

Is it just a matter of preference? If so, why do you prefer what you prefer?

If you have it in the run, should you still at least put some water in the house part for at night when they are locked up?

My chicken house will just be 4x4 or 4x5 so it will be really cramped with food and water in there but if that is the best way I am sure I can make it work. I also think it would be fine in the run. We have pretty temperate weather so I don't have to worry about the water freezing or anything. I just wonder why people prefer what they prefer.

Thank you,
CJ

Last edited:
Mine will probably not be your typical response, so bear that in mind-

but I keep all food and water in the run ONLY, after 6 weeks of age. I remove all food at night and place it in a covered metal pail in the garage to prevent critters from getting it.

I let them out at daybreak and let them go to bed when they want. I figure that if it's good enough for songbirds, it's good enough for them.

I had a horrible time with mold, spilled food, and bullying in the coops when I tried keeping it all in there.

Also- it really depends on your climate. If you are in a snowy region, they really do need it all inside the coop.

Last edited:
I keep the feed in a hanging feeder in the coop. It's hung high enough that they can actually run underneath it (more space available). I tried keeping it in the run but they spill so much of it. When it rained, the spilled feed was getting moldy.
I keep two waterers in the run. One is metal with plain water, the other is plastic with ACV added in.

I had the very same question just this morning! I found this website http://www.southmead.dsl.pipex.com/Caring for Chickens.htm (look at the faq's) it says that you don't have to keep food or water in the coop at night. My coop is also 4x4, so when I put the food and water in it took up way too much room. When I let my girls out this morning I also noticed that the gallon waterer that was full when I put it in last night was empty and there was a steady drip coming out of the bottom right corner of the coop! So, I think from here on out the food and water are staying in the run.
thumbsup.gif

Hi CJ-

I've tried it both ways. When I kept the food in the run, in a hanging feeder, the hens would still spill it and then if it got wet due to weather, then it would rot and stink! So I had to regularly scrape it off the ground, which is a pain in the buns!

Soooooo, food is only kept in the coop. The feeder sits in the middle of the floor, on a crate so it's right at beak level for them, and then they can't scratch it all onto the floor and waste it.

Now, water is kept inside in the winter time, and outside in the run during the summer. I keep a bucket in the garage, and I'll fill that up with fresh water, walk it down to the coop, set the bucket down and dump the other one and bring it back to the house for the next day...Really saves me a trip. Especially in winter.....I call it the "two bucket exchange" LOL

This is really good advice. My coop is just getting finished and I really had not thought about where to put the feeder. I am glad I came across this!

My feeder is under the coop out of rain. We live on the water and moisture prevents the food from falling into the feeder tray steadily -- so every few days I have to go in and jiggle it for food to fall into the tray. We have a funnel that we made to deliver food from inside coop to bottom of coop. I'm thinking about putting rice inside container that is sealed with small holes to keep moisture out. What do ya'll think and do you have any other ideas. Thanks

MY COOP IS A 4' X 5'. THE RUN IS 9' X 12' . THE COOP IS 22'' OFF THE GROUND . ALL ARE ENCLOSED WITH 1/2" HARDWARE CLOTH.THE COOP PROVIDES SHELTER UNDERNEATH FROM THE ELEMENTS SO I HANG THE FEEDER AT SHOULDER/BEAK HEIGHT. THE WATERER IS ON A PEDESTAL AT SHOULDER/BEAK HEIGHT ALSO, BUT IT LOCATED IN THE RUN. ANY VARIATION ON THIS IS FINE AS LONG AS IT MEETS YOUR SPECIFIC CRITERIA. HOWEVER, LITERATURE DOES VALIDATE THE FACT THAT THE WATERER IN A COOP CAN AND DOES ADD MOISTURE/HUMIDITY TO THE ENCLOSED COOP AND AS SUCH, WILL CREATE PROBLEMS (ESPECIALLY IF THE COOP IS SMALL SUCH AS MINE). SOME DO KEEP THE FEEDER INSIDE THE COOP TO DETER RODENTS, BIRDS, ETC. AND THIS OF COURSE,THIS IS A GOOD POINT. KEEP THE RUN CLOSED AT NIGHT AND I HAVE A PREDATOR PROOF PERIMETER SO THIS IS NOT A CONCERN FOR ME. AGAIN, THIS IS WHY I STATE THAT YOU NEED TO ESTABLISH YOUR OWN CRITERIA.

Hi Joseph,

I was wondering if you finally got your coop from Green Chicken Coops. Sounds like you did and everything is going well. Mine is holding up nicely especially since we now have the coop and run covered with a metal roof. That should extend the life of the structure for a long time. I am still in love with my girls and enjoying between 25 and 30 eggs a week!

I currently have a broody Easter Egger. She is rounding up everyone's eggs and sitting on them. She is misinformed since we have no Roos. Every evening I have to turf her out to get the days egg production. I have been on all the Broody Threads checking out what I need to know to get through this new chapter of chicken raising.

Anyway I just wanted to check in with you to see how your "Feathered Fatherhood" is going.

Cajunchik

Hello cajunchik,
What a pleasure to hear from you. Yes, I did receive the coop and run. I ordered the 9' A- Frame Run. It is so large, that I built a roost in one section that the 8 chickens love to sit on during the day. You are correct; the chickens provide entertainment and joy throughout the day and evening. We let them free range whenever possible and although they make a mess, they are becoming part of the family.
I assembled the run and coop atop a 2"x4" Pressure treated base in order to enhance the life of each. I also treated the cedar roof shingles with polyurethane to prevent graying.
Anyway, thanks for all your help in the past and do keep in touch,
Joseph

Back
Top Bottom