Nipple waterer for quail

ThaJuicyJuice

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Miami
Anyone use this? I have a set up already with holes drilled in pvc. Works great, but was going to order some nipples for the chickens and wondered if I should try with the quail, too. What do you think?

It Will Work, But Here In This Tropical Heat And Humidity You'll Find They Drip Continuously... Which Makes Wet Spots, Which In Turn Becomes Mini Quicksand Pits With A Foul Odor That 1 Cannot Describe In Words... But They Do Work, And Quail Will Drink From Anything.

Quote:
I use rabbit watering bottles for quail, and also a an automatic system for rabbits and have parked itinerant quail in a rabbit cage with rabbit nipples and they worked it out in no time how to use the nipples.

But, quails, like rabbits are also fond of playing with the waterers... ;-D

JJ mentions that water dripping makes the quail-do reek -- yep, and so, what I do is I take one of the big tins from my homebrew beerkits, put a pierced beer can upside down (so no-one can drown) and tie that to the wall underneath the nipple to catch the drips. Since I make a new beer every 2 weeks I have a good supply of those tins, and so I just chuck them when they get whiffy(they will even if you rinse them every day), but you could clean it up with bleach.

This also breaks up the 'playgroup' and stops birds from monopolising the drinker by crowding underneath it and stopping others from accessing it.

If you use nipples, they will always leak a little bit, so in my rabbit cages I hang them high, so the drips dry on the mesh as they fall and my animals get exercise whilst drinking. But you can also get poultry cups from the same company that makes the nipple drinkers, I haven't yet, because after seeing the muck that ends up in the tin... I suspect that their beeks are actually quite filthy and I have a suspicion that the poultry cup would be a mini cesspit in no time, even with much cleaning.

Really? No matter what you do they leak?? I'm also in south florida and I just got a few from a friend because he ordered too many... I am hesitant to use them now. If I can get them to stop leaking, I'll let you know!

My Dad was born in Gainesville, went to Univ. of Florida
smile.png

Quote:
I know I'm not suppose to use the chicken word on this site but I use the farm tek water nipple in a one gallon bucket and they never leak. I am planning on using them in a quart plastic water jar for my quail.

Since I make a new beer every 2 weeks I have a good supply

HEY BUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDY
smile.png

sad.png
OH NEVERMIND, FORGOT YOU WERE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BIG POND...
he.gif

Ran thru my mind too JJ. Mmmmmm homebrew..... I made beer for several years. The only down side was every time I had a less than good batch, there was 5 gallons of it. This my friend, is a good time to have a few good friends that are "TRUE BEER SLUTS", problem solved!! Bill

Back
Top Bottom