Anyone know of a kiddie pool with a drain?

DuckiesAndBees

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
I would like to have a plastic kiddie pool for my ducks, but if possible I would like one with a drain at the bottom. It would work great if I could attach a hose and run it straight to the garden for some free fertilizer
big_smile.png
Does anyone know where to get one of these, or if it would be possible to put one in my existing hard plastic pool? I'm afraid it would crack if I tried to put a hole in it. Any advice is greatly apprecaited! The three little guys will be so happy when they can swim in their pool instead of just living there!

85639_duck2.jpg

I've never seen one, but I wonder how far you could get with a hole cut in the bottom, some water proof silicone/adhesive with a piece of.... PVC secured into place with a cap to open/close the drain? Or something. I have a baby pool for the dogs and I just bend the side in and set a brick on it to drain... but a section of pipe under it, attached to a hose, with a drain system.... that would be cool.

I wonder if the pond liners are better suited to cut a hole in. Or if they have holes? I saw a 150 gallon pond liner on CL for $50... hhhmmm...

I know that I was thinking about one of the round livestock tanks.. Would last longer, I had the plastic kiddy pool at walmart, and it was so hard to clean, then it would crack.. just a mess.. .. Only question would be the sides.. I was thinking about building a deck around it.. I know they come in all different sizes, and they do have a plug..
smile.png

I used a dremel with a cutting bit to make a hole in my pool - just a tad under the size of the pvc piece I was going to use and then went back and made it a good fit
P1020683.jpg

traced the size of my hole and went a tiny bit smaller since too small could be fixed, too big could not.
P1020682.jpg

pieces available from HD or Lowe's
I ended up using the rubber washers for E
Twist G onto I and put a washer on so it is between pool and G. Put piece through the hole so G is on the inside of the pool.
Add another washer so it is on the outside of the pool and then twist on H.
Twist until tight and then give another quarter twist.
J is my plug and goes in the end of H. You can use a ball valve, but with how i have to get to it to drain it, I didn't want a ball valve and this works well for me.
P1020679.jpg

Wow, thank you guys so much for your help! Looks like I'll be making a trip to the hardware store to try out some of these great ideas!

I bought a kids' pool at walmart that already had a drain in it...they had the standard size then the larger size, but only the large one had the drain (I imagine because it is so large that one would have a hard time lift it when it's full). I use it as a brooder and it works great.

Just saw one at Wallyworld with a ladder & steps for 15.$ and it has a plug. My only problem would be that you'd have to make a ramp for them to get in and out.Might last 2+ years.
I got a huge black pond for 30$ and we put a bathtub drain and pipe with a ballcock to drain. It worked good for 2 years, but I jsut pulled it up , because the drain is leaking and we should have put sand under it (it heaved this year in winter). Also it was only accesible to geese, they'd chase the ducks out as it was in their day yard , so I am going to re-dig and put it back in down in the yard above my garden.... The big drain was a plus ,because the geese put things into the pool, like rocks:he and sticks...Also it was much deeper than I needed.
I could kick myself, we moved I left a good rubbermaid , shallow trough .......
barnie.gif
which would have been great!

Back
Top Bottom