Pullets won't go back in coop at night

dunacn1

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
I've had my 10 chicks (8 weeks) and 2 cayugas (also 8 weeks) outside in the coop now for 2 weeks. I have an attached run, which they run around in all day. I've kept the food in the coop and during the course of the day the chicks regularly go in and out of the coop to eat, however, come sunset, they all lay down together in the run, at which point I go out and pick them up and put them into the coop for the night. Anybody have any suggestions on how to train them to go back into the coop for the night?

Good luck. I still have birds that are full grown that would rather stay outside to sleep then go inside unless it's very very cold

Tempt them in with treats and put them on the roost if needed. They should learn in a week or so, if the coop is big enough and not some kind of problem for them, like not enough fresh air. There needs to be natural light in there, too.

I had to show my little ones to go into the coop "to go to bed" before they understood where they should sleep. I would march them up the ramp and into the hen house at dusk when the bigger girls were going to bed so they "got" the idea that was when and where they had to go. I did that a few nights in a row, and one evening I looked out and they had put themselves to bed--inside! I felt like a proud parent!

You may need to lock them in the coop for a couple of days. That's what we did when we took our young pullets out to the coop the first time. That helps them learn that the coop is home and is safe, so when it gets dark they head for the safety of the coop.

I had big problems with my newer girls once I let them into the yard with the big chickens. Every night for weeks (I swear it was for months!!!) I had to go get them out of the corner of the yard where they were hunkered together and place them inside the coop. One by one, they would get the picture but the last 6 or so still wanted to go to the corner no matter what I did. Finally, it was like the lightbulb clicked on and they were all inside.
wee.gif
:weee

What's worked for me is turning on a small light inside the coop each evening. Once they're inside, you can turn the light off. If you don't have power out there, you can use a flashlight (since it'll only be on for an hour or so) or one of those battery operated mountable pushlights. Just turn it on about 30 minutes before dark, and then turn it off once everyone is inside. It works great for my 7-8 week olds. Try this for a few weeks until they get use to going inside on their own at night, and eventually you won't need it (my big girls go into their own coop without a light, but they needed one initially).

I try to make my brooder and grow out pen as much like the actual coop as possible. I have added roost and a ramp to the grow out pen that makes it a mini version of the coop, I still have to coach them a bit when they go to the big coop but they catch on faster. I like the light idea too because they already know the light means comfort.

I have this problem with my 8 week old buffs and Im getting very frusterated because now theyve learned to HIDE from me at dark under the coop which I cant get under! I have put them in there at bedtime for nearly two weeks now. Have tried a light....ranging from a dim light to a workshop light. I have waited until after dark to put them in, and then recently started taking them in about 20 minutes before dark..... NOTHING is working and the nights I am not home at dark exactly (I work rotating shifts) I fear for their safety. They also do not roost but right now that is the least of my worries. I also have 2 pekins that are the same age, and they dont go in the coop at night, but I was planning to build them a shelter on the ground.... I wont do that until the chickens start going in the coop for fear they will try to "live" with the ducks. ? anyone have any ideas

Back
Top Bottom