Home made quail feed? Does anyone make/mill thier own?

Mama Austranought

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Western Australia
We can't get game bird starter/mix here (Australia). I thought I read once someone mixing/milling/ making their own? Please let me know of any successful and healthy mixes you have tried - anyone! THANKS!! My quails - courntix - are 1 day old at the mo! So I'm just new to quails!

Turkey starter is a good substitution for game bird feed. After that, the highest protein chicken starter you can find would be next on my list, but they are both just substitutions for the real thing.

Trying to cook up a batch of GBS in your basement is generally folly.
Good luck with your birds!

http://www.lauckemills.com.au/poultryfood2.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

I haven't got quails yet but I too, am trying to figure out the correct feed for quails here in Australia.

However the link above does about 23% protein... they do have turkey starter but its got meds and stuff in it but thats around 28%

I will ask the Stockfeed place if they have higher protein feed the next time I go to buy some feed for my ickens..

For now I shall entertain myself by looking at my meal worms, reading books on sprouting seeds, and reading cage design books, going to the hardware store and looking for stuff to modify into a cage, and image training on quail maintenance when I wake up in the mornings.

Yeah, well cooking up my own looks like the ONLY option, so I've got to do the best I can. I fed my older quails finch (seed mix) feed. Turkey starter is medicated - so not for quails. A very experienced QUAIL BYCer had a mox up on here that she does for hers... If only I can find her...

My bad! We don't generally medicate Turkey starter here in the colonies.

JJ has a good GBS recipe! The 1/2 ton of corn turns me off, but you may be able to tone it down to suit your needs. What's that recipe JJ?

Maybe you can use duck food and add the extra protein using a variety of seeds, and then boiled egg, meat, and insects a a few times a week?

Quote:
ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE
bow.gif

BASED ON US MEASUREMENTS

410LBS CORN
480 LBS OF SOYBEAN
110 LBS OF WHEAT MIDDLINGS
8 LBS LIMESTONE
4 LBS SALT
20LBS DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE
1.5 LBS dl METHIONINE
2.5 LBS WITAMIN PREMIX
1.0 LBS OF MINERAL PREMIX

SHAKEN NOT STIRRED
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE
bow.gif

BASED ON US MEASUREMENTS

410LBS CORN
480 LBS OF SOYBEAN
110 LBS OF WHEAT MIDDLINGS
8 LBS LIMESTONE
4 LBS SALT
20LBS DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE
1.5 LBS dl METHIONINE
2.5 LBS WITAMIN PREMIX
1.0 LBS OF MINERAL PREMIX

SHAKEN NOT STIRRED
smile.png

Only 1/4 ton of corn....My bad!

I'm thinking someones Cuisinart is going to get a run for it's money
big_smile.png

It was a stupid wedding gift....Burn it up.
Thanks my friend!

WOAH! I'm only a new chick to all this and a city slicker at that! Thanks JJ! Youre a real gem when it comes to quails and humour! But the one I read had normal stuff in it not like 410lb of corn
hide.gif

I'm just a little girl and the thought of lifting and mixing all that makes me shudder let alone the other chemical things I've never heard of before! It will go in the recipe book nonetheless and when I get big then I might!!! In the meantime I'll keep searching old posts!

Oh but guess what I could just scale it down couldn't I!

And I sold the blender/food processor when I got a Thermomix - that will mill whole wheat to flour in 20sec! That was the best money I've spent in ?? years.

Is vitamin and mineral premix something that you get that suits all animals or ??? Sorry but as I say this is not rural and we don't have "local feed stores" only a place called City Farmers which sees a lot of us (and our credit card!!)

Back
Top Bottom