Freezing eggs.

Nichole77

Songster
12 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Arizona
I have read here that you can do it if you scramble them. Does anyone do this to keep some on hand in case their flock stops laying? I was thinking it might be a good idea for baking and scrambled eggs. But how do you defrost them?

Thats a really good question. I remember when I was a little girl my Mom use to crack them into baggies and freeze them. She only used them in baking and would let them thaw in the fridge. Maybe that was because there wasn't such thing as microwves! That was hard to admit, made me sound REALLY old!
big_smile.png

Wiconsinchick, do they have the same consistency as fresh eggs, once they are thawed? Are they good scrambled, or best kept for baking?

And, how long can you keep them frozen? We have a chest freezer.

Frozen eggs are best used in baking or other cooking. Once they freeze and thaw the texture changes a bit. Scrambled or fried eggs would be rubbery and just not the same.

I use an ice cube tray and crack one egg in each cube slot. Freeze. Pop them out and put them in a freezer bag/container for cooking use when eggs are not as plentiful.

Thank you, Miss Prissy.
smile.png

That's how I freeze a lot of things. (small portions, then put those into larger containers, or bags.) I just recently froze Meyer's lemon juice, and some other citrus. I guess eggs are next; that will be terrific for baking bread and such over the winter!
smile.png

I crack a half dozen in a quart sized freezer bag, lay flat and freeze. I let them thaw in the fridge. The yoks never return to the consistancy of a fresh egg. They make great scambled eggs though if you dump them all in a blender a give them a whirl!

Thank you, CoyoteMagic.
smile.png

Do you know what I freeze flat in bags like that? Chicken!

Essentially, I want mealtimes to be as easy as possible, and cutting chicken into bite sized pieces, or strips, at 4 O'Clock, doesn't qualify.

So, once a month I cut up chicken into things like bite sized pieces (For stir fries, fried rice, soup, casseroles, etc.) and strips.

Then, I put them in freezer bags, 1 or 2 breasts, or whatever they are, per bag.

But, I lay them in a single layer, and freeze flat like that.

Having them frozen and marked as cut up into certain cuts is so nice when I want to make something. Just bring down to the ice box from the freezer, and let thaw.

And when something doesn't come out when it should (It happens!), or I choose a last minute meal, having been frozen flat, it thaws a *lot* faster, unlike a block of frozen food!

Thanks again!
smile.png

Quote:
I freeze whole boneless skinless chicken breast like that. I haven't gone as far as chopping it certain ways, but I will next time. I buy it up when some stores have a huge sale. Thanks for the idea.

I crack eggs into a silicon muffin tin and freeze them. I then pop them out and place them in freezer bags. I never could find ice cube trays large enough and they pop right out of the silicon. Works great. Just thaw out the number that you need for baking.

Back
Top Bottom