What do you get when you cross a barred rock ro with......

jephwallace

Hatching
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Hello,

Great site. We are on a family adventure. We decided to try our hand at egg incubation. We paired our barred rock roosters with each breed of hens we have and the hatch went great. As I type we have so far hatched 35 out of 42 of our first hatching. The thing is that the chicks all look relatively the same, except for small apparently insignificant differences. My question for you chicken aficionados is this....

What do you get when you cross a Barred Rock rooster with 1) white rock hen, 2) rhode island red hen, 3) Black Star sexlink hen, 4) Barred rock hen?

Okay, I know number 4. what of the others? What can I expect? Are these good crosses or have a made a chicken faux pas?

The chicks all look healthy but as stated look pretty much the same.

thanks for any input
smile.png

jephwallace

The answer to 1,2 & 3 are the same: Mutts, no specific breed.

Nothing wrong with mutts either, I have both mutts & pure breeds.

#4 will get you a barred rock.
wink.png

As you've found out crossing a barred roo with anything and all the chicks will have some barring.

No faux pas
smile.png
with the breeds you listed I'm betting the female chicks will be great layers and should be very nice all around.

welcome-byc.gif

You get barred chicks. Barring carries to all chicks from a Barred Rock rooster. Now, if the hen was the only one barred, you'd get sexlinked barring with the cockerels getting barring from mom and lots of basically solid females or some with possible spangling.

I have a beautiful barred rock roo. He mates with my White Leghorns and I just hatched about 30 of their eggs a few weeks ago. What I got was; 3 barred rocks, 2 black/white, and the rest were white with black specks. Go figure! I raised the barred rock and the White Leghorn. They did all come out beautiful though.
smile.png

I thought if you cross a Barred Rock with a RIR you get the black sex links, where the chicks are sexable upon hatching.

Makes black female with few red feathers
and makes males that look like barred rocks, just with a few red feathers

Back
Top Bottom