Blue egg layers??

Araylee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
I need blue eggs! I NEED blue eggs! So if I want a blue-egg maker (not green or olive, just blue) can I get either the Auracana or Americauna? (not EE) Of those two breeds, which lays MORE eggs? Am I missing a breed that lays blue eggs?

Thanks!

I have an EE that lays the most beautiful shade of turquoise egg, but you are right, there is no guarantee with an EE that it won't be green or olive. The best way to guarantee blue is to know the lineage, and what the parents were laying (well, the hen, since roos don't lay...
big_smile.png
) For the roo, you could find out about the grandma I guess. A reputable breeder could easily give you that info. Good luck!

Out of curiosity, why the NEED for blue eggs? I love them too, I just wondered if you have a science project or something?

Araylee

I think you are looking for Ameraucana or Araucana. The latter being rumpless chickens.

Here is info. from their website. My brown egg layers have white on the shell insides, so the brown is produced by the hen as the 'bloom' that is the final coating on the egg. The blue layers have shells that are blue all the way through from what I hear. Some EE chickens will lay blue-green or near blue eggs. It is important to Ameraucana fanciers not to confuse them with Easter Eggers..

http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

Edited for misspelling Ameraucana....can't even spell it. ;O)

Last edited:
I hear ya! I want a pair of Americaunas just to change up my egg bowl. Oh well, I'm happy with my girls and this is the most we can have in the space we have. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom