When do roosters get their spurs?

Chicken Little-er

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
We have an 8 week old supposed Golden Laced Wyandotte -- with quite a large rose comb and a small emerging wattle -- so I've been thinking it's a rooster. But there's no sign of rooster behavior and no sign of spurs -- when do they start to come in? I'm kind of hoping we're wrong and that it's a pullet after all.

The spurs will usually be prominent around 6 mos old.Around 4 mos you may start seeing lil 'bumps'.I have an 8 mos old SLW roo that has absolutely no spurs yet,just a lil bump.

Quote:
His comb and wattles came in kinda early,he didn't start acting manly though until he almost got his butt kicked by a guinea roo....lol...

On of my roosters spurs started coming in at 13 weeks, there was no signs on the other rooster. And for anyone who wants to know I know they are both roos because they both crow. :)

here is a pic of my GLW roo...he was born April 4th.

83907_what_am_i_002.jpg

Here he is in the middle.

83907_roos.jpg

Hope that helps! BTW, his name is Lil' Wayne and he is starting to "explore" the girls.
somad.gif
Prob will have to re-home him.

Its off the suject but I have a roo that looks exactly like the chicken in the bottom pic posted. The chicken right above the 7-10-11. Mine is an EE,.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the chicken raising hobby and new to these forums. I just bought a straight run of bantams about 3 weeks ago from out local feed supply. Lately I've been noticing that a few of the chicks look like they have 5 claws or spurs. I say claw because one of the claws looks more like its coming out of another claw. Could this be a spur? I also noticed that on the other foot there is only 4 claws/spurs. Could I have some kind of a deformed batch or is this the way a rooster starts to form? That odd looking spur/claw looks like its real flimsey and rubbery. I feel bad for them because it looks like they are almost walking on their own feet. There only about 3 and half weeks old.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the chicken raising hobby and new to these forums. I just bought a straight run of bantams about 3 weeks ago from out local feed supply. Lately I've been noticing that a few of the chicks look like they have 5 claws or spurs. I say claw because one of the claws looks more like its coming out of another claw. Could this be a spur? I also noticed that on the other foot there is only 4 claws/spurs. Could I have some kind of a deformed batch or is this the way a rooster starts to form? That odd looking spur/claw looks like its real flimsey and rubbery. I feel bad for them because it looks like they are almost walking on their own feet. There only about 3 and half weeks old.

This sounds like a couple may just have an extra toe if it's only 1 foot. If it's both feet & they have really dark legs & skin then you have silkies & they are supposed to have 5 toes.

Back
Top Bottom