DIY Egg Washer!! Too EASY!

loopy119

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Dayton, TX
Anybody else sell quail/chicken eggs to eat and get tired of washing your eggs by hand? I did, so i found this video
on youtube of a homemade egg washer and my dad and I built one! Here is what it looks like!

2011-07-26004232.jpg

2011-07-26004248.jpg

2011-07-26004310.jpg

I just add dishwasher detergent (so it doesn't foam), add warm water to cover the eggs completely and then some, hook it up to my dad's air compressor, add the basket (dollar store office trashcan) with the eggs in it, and turn the valve to open a little until I get the amount of bubbles I want. I also make sure that the air compressor pressure is low so that I don't overload the PVC. I recently washed 13 dozen quail eggs all at once with this and they came out PERFECT! Then I just pulled the basket out, rinsed them in clean, warm water, and spread them on paper towels and let them air dry. I'll be using it on my chicken eggs later this week. I have to get them out of the fridge and to room temp first.

Sorry if this was OT, but I think it may be useful to some people that can't/don't hatch all of their eggs.
big_smile.png

Thanks!
big_smile.png

No, probably not. I don't wash eggs if I am going to incubate them. I've heard it destroys the bloom. Mine usually have sand on them, because my quail like to lay in their sandboxes, and I don't even brush that off for fear of scratching the eggs.

Quote:
Yep

X2
thumbsup.gif
A farmer in WI told me the ''Bloom'' is just lubricant so they egg will slide right out ! He washes all his eggs and spray a bleach & water mixture(I think 1 tbsp bleach to gal water) to disinfect the eggs before they go into the incubator.
He said he had been doing it that way for years. Of course you want you wash warmer than the egg temperature.

Cool! Thanks for clearing that up for me!
big_smile.png
I always wondered about it and was just told 'no, don't wash them.' Maybe I'll try it with this next batch I'm going to put in.

Following...just wanted to remember this post. We have 75 chicks right now...i can see me spending an hour each evening washing eggs...this will be a life saver. :)

and much cheaper than the alternative!

Thanks for bumping this thread.... I mentioned this subject a while back but didnt find the thread..... This experiment has been repeated over and over again and it never seems to make much difference in the hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom