Need help with Corid dosage

leadwolf1

Songster
8 Years
May 1, 2011
1) What type of bird , age and weight. White crested black polish pullet, 10 weeks, weight unknown
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Puffed up feathers, sitting around, head down and sleepy. No sneezing or discharges of any kind
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? since this morning
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I saw her drinking and eating medicated chick starter. She also was enjoying some cantaloupe
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Have seen none yet
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? brought inside to observe, given 5 drops of poly vi sol (I wore most of it), electrolytes in water, fed some yogurt and mealworms plus some chopped up egg
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I have all different kinds of meds on hand, would like to treat myself at first
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use...pine shavings.

She has been allowed to freerange with her friends, with supervision, since about 1 week old. Has been in the coop with her buddies and some older chicks for a week and a half. No one else is showing any symptoms/signs of illness.

I have sulmet and corid on hand. I prefer to try the corid if all agree that symptoms sound like coccidia. However, I can't find the proper dosage for chickens. I have corid 20% Soluble Powder but the directions are only for bovine use.

Could someone please help me figure out what the dosage would be for chickens? I would like to get this started immediately....

Would ACV be better than electrolytes?

Thanks everyone!

Corid 20% soluable powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Dont mix anything else into the corid/water solution.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the speedy reply!! Should I treat everyone? They range in age from 9 - 16 weeks and no others are showing signs/symptoms. They are all still on medicated started feed. Please let me know...I'm going to mix the powder now!! Do you know how long the mix stays good? Do I need to mix more every 24 hours? Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated!!!

Quote:
You're welcome. Yes, I would treat them all. Make a new batch of the solution daily, you want to keep it fresh and effective. Hopefully they will ALL drink it. You might have to use an eyedropper to ensure the sick one(s) drink enough of it to be effective.

I will treat everyone and I hope someone lets me know is it is 1/2 or 1 tsp. What a task...maybe I will take some waterers away. I have a total of 7 waterers located around their freerange area so that in this heat no one has far to walk. Of course this would happen when my brother-in-law is coming in tonight from CA for a visit...his first time here!! Dosed the sick chick for now and will refill waterers with medication after I finish getting ready for company.

For now, unless I hear otherwise, I will use 1 tsp/gal.

Thanks for the help...I know that the answers are on here somewhere but when a baby is sick, it's hard to take the time to search when there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum. Thanks guys, I don't know what I would have done without you!!!

Directions from bottle:

In drinking water: treatment - add 16 oz per 100 gals of water

16 divided by 100 = .16 (because you are only using 1 gallon of water)

.16 oz is equal to 4.7317647301 mls

5 mls is equal to 1 tsp

You are absolutely correct. Thanks so much. I could only find the dosage for cattle and that would never work!! Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I have already changed the meds to 1 tsp per gallon on your recommendation.

I just hope I caught it in time and that coccidia is what I'm treating
sad.png
Treating poultry is so much different from furred critters.

pips&peeps :

Directions from bottle:

In drinking water: treatment - add 16 oz per 100 gals of water

16 divided by 100 = .16 (because you are only using 1 gallon of water)

.16 oz is equal to 4.7317647301 mls

5 mls is equal to 1 tsp

OP is using 20% soluable powder, not the liquid oral solution.​

Dosage for powder is:

Water 5 gal. / CORID .4 oz.

.4 dvided by 5 = .08

.08 is equal to 2.365882365 mls

2.365882365 mls = .48 tsp

Thanks for pointing that out dawg

Back
Top Bottom