Can You Use Ivermectin Pour-on On Geese?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
I have some Ivermectin 5% pour-on that i use on my chickens for worming and mite control...
Can i use this on my geese? And how much do i use?
Thank You...

Quote:
When I treat my chickens with Ivermectin [now I use Epernix] I treated my ducks and goose too I used 7 drops on my goose. I only treat my goose and ducks 2X a year, fall and spring. I treat the chickens every 3 months.

Yes you can use it topically and the cool thing about Ivermectin
is it kills both internal and external parasites.
1 ml (or cc) on the skin for a goose, 1/2 ml for a chicken.
I put it on their back between their wings.
SO easy to use and they get a complete dose unlike if you put it in water
like I have heard some suggest
Make sure to give a 2nd dose a couple weeks after you've administered the first dose.
Late Autumn is a good time to deworm livestock.
Doing it after the ground freezes will prevent them from picking up new parasites.
There's a link on my websites tip page for a website that explains this in detail.
Hope this helps.
smile.png

Quote:
When I treat my chickens with Ivermectin [now I use Epernix] I treated my ducks and goose too I used 7 drops on my goose. I only treat my goose and ducks 2X a year, fall and spring. I treat the chickens every 3 months.

Thanks!

Remember that ivormectin and other drugs do go into the meat and eggs of your animals. I would also ask why you are planning on using this medicine on your geese - what are they sick with?

Ivormectin is an effective drug but it is very easy to overdose. It's not a bad idea to talk with a vet about this.

Ivormectin is an effective drug but it is very easy to overdose. It's not a bad idea to talk with a vet about this.
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to comment in case somebody found this thread.

Ivermectin has a VERY wide margin of safety. You can use up to 4 TIMES the suggested dose, with no side effects! It is actually almost impossible to overdose an animal on it, if you are actually using a dose from a veterinary source. That being said, I'd use the suggested amount. My veterinary sources say 7 drops of Ivermectin pour on or 1 ml, for a goose. There may be a withdrawal period, but Ivermectin is actually given to humans too and the amount in an egg is beyond minuscule IMHO as a human doctor.

Yes you can use it topically and the cool thing about Ivermectin
is it kills both internal and external parasites.
1 ml (or cc) on the skin for a goose, 1/2 ml for a chicken.
I put it on their back between their wings.
SO easy to use and they get a complete dose unlike if you put it in water
like I have heard some suggest
Make sure to give a 2nd dose a couple weeks after you've administered the first dose.
Late Autumn is a good time to deworm livestock.
Doing it after the ground freezes will prevent them from picking up new parasites.
There's a link on my websites tip page for a website that explains this in detail.
Hope this helps.
smile.png
Do you have a picture of the kind of ivermectin that you use? And when treating a goose who has worms, how long do you give it and how much? Is the dose the same for prevention as it is for treatment? Please, I really need some advice.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to comment in case somebody found this thread.

Ivermectin has a VERY wide margin of safety. You can use up to 4 TIMES the suggested dose, with no side effects! It is actually almost impossible to overdose an animal on it, if you are actually using a dose from a veterinary source. That being said, I'd use the suggested amount. My veterinary sources say 7 drops of Ivermectin pour on or 1 ml, for a goose. There may be a withdrawal period, but Ivermectin is actually given to humans too and the amount in an egg is beyond minuscule IMHO as a human doctor.
There are multiple versions of ivermectin 1% .. and 5% and some say pour on and others say injectable . Do you have a picture of the one that is safe to use orally for geese? The info I had gotten was around 3 drops orally of ivermectin... No one seems to clarify which one can be used for what lol. I really am desperate for clarification. Please?

Back
Top Bottom