My Goose's Bottom Beak Is Split

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
I just noticed today that one of my female African geese has the bottom section of her bill (under the tongue) split right down the center. It starts at the front and goes back about 2/3 of the way. I am not sure if it just happened or if it has been that way for a while. She seems to be able to eat, and can definitely drink. I'm sure a dog hasn't got hold of her, but maybe some other critter did briefly. I wonder if it got caught on the fence or something and ripped it. I am just at a loss as to what could have happened. Could one of the other geese grabbed it and broke it? The only thing I know to do is just watch to see if she can eat enough to keep her health, and if not put her down, though I sure hope I don't have to. I can't figure anyway to repair it unless I was to strap her down good and put some epoxy on it or something and keep her restrained until it sets up. Any of you guys ever had this happen you any of your geese or other waterfowl before?

Yes, I had this happen to my goose. Daisey is always pushy my dog around (she's a Rotty) and my dog always backs down. One day I heard all this barking and screaming and I thought everything from a distance looked OK. But when I looked closer Daisys top beak was bleeding and had a huge crack about half way down from her nostrils. What happened is Daisy stuck her face through the fence to bite the dog and the dog bit her. I was too very worried. Daisy didn't feel well for a couple of weeks only ate very little, laid around a lot. Slowly the crack grew out and you can't even tell anything ever. Geese are tough!
smack.gif

Hey KidCody, that is good to know. I was watching her this evening and she was pulling grass and eating it, so that was a relief. She doesn't act like it bothers her in the least. I took some of my Speckled Sussex chicks out of the brooder for their first foray outside and I was laying on my side in the yard and the goose along with the other two were pulling on my clothes, hair and beard, so I guess she is going to be okay. I'm not sure if the beak will be able to heal or not, but at least she can use it. I just hope she doesn't catch it on something and break it off. That would stink.

You could always glue it. I don't know if it will heal on its own or not, but I would think maybe her tongue could get hurt from coming through if it gets any worse?

My husband asked that I post this reply for you - hope it will help you (and others).........

Hi Dev

I’ve seen the photographs of the damage to your goose’s jaw it looks pretty bad. I’ve had two occasions when I’ve been part of a solution to problems like this. Once I rebuilt an African penguin’s lower jaw with quick setting epoxy and another time at the aquarium a sea turtle was repaired with the same material (it had been chopped by a ships prop) after a couple of months the poultice of white epoxy fell off to reveal that the keratin etc had recovered almost perfectly under the repair. My suggestion would be to use this material (it has a 5min set time) or to use a super glue repair kit some of which are supplied with various filler powder-fillers. Another suggestion is to find a lateral thinking dental technician - they have vast experience with and access to some amazing polymers (as well as familiarity with the maxiliary region). Why I’m suggesting this approach is because there is a group here in South Africa that specializes in repairing owls with damaged beaks (from being hit by cars and other causes) and one of them is a dental technician, - the beaks re-grow and they enjoy a high level of success.

Sincerely yours "Gozbird" (aka, Eric)

Last edited:
Quote:
i think this has been posted on the wrong thread, dev has posted his beak injury on emergencies section. i wouldnt want him to miss this advice!! unless you know something i dont and orange ribbon and dev share the same goose
idunno.gif

Last edited:
im re posting & hope this might help others with a goose beak problem , YEARS AGO in the 1970's my young Toulouse goose , about 10 months old, he had ripped his top beak almost off ,in the gate of his pen , i found him like that & his beak was just hanging by a thread OF SKIN , but thank goodness for that ,because AS LONG AS THE BEAK WAS STILL CONNECTED IN SOME WAY I KNEW we had the ability to repair him, & so i did, but firsti called my vet and he told me how they would try to fix him by CUTTING AWAY THE ENTIRE BEAK UP TO HIS SKULL AND THEN SCREW IN A METAL BEAK , I KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT AS I HAD READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT WILD GEESE WHO HAD THEIR BEAKS COUGH IN TRAPS, AND THE WILD LIFE PEOPLE HAD REPAIRED THEM IN THAT MANOR WHICH I FELT WAS HORRIBLE FOR THE BIRD, SO I ASKED THE VET , WAS THERE ANY OTHER WAY...? HE SAID NO...! SOI TOLD MY VET THAT IF I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX HIM, I WOULD CALL BACK, MY VET KNEW ME WELL...lol.. I had cured many lost cases of every kind of injured animal given to me to heal, and i could always find away , so I said thank you & hung up the phone , BUT AT THAT VERY MOMENT THIS VOICE IN MY HEAD SAID = GET THE CRAZY GLUE..! SO I DID thank goodness i had some on hand, and I knew time was of the essence...! in repairing his beak, so I GLUED HIS BEAK BACK ON, I knew it would be at least a good try , SINCE I HAD READ MANY ARTICLES ABOUT CRAZY GLUE BEING USED FOR ALL KINDS OF MEDICAL REPAIRS, ON PEOPLE & ANIMALS and so it was at least worth a try to save my young goose...!! I HAD THE BEST KIND OF CRAZY GLUE FOR THE JOB IT WAS THE GEL TYPE, SO IT WAS NOT RUNNY AND I COULD CONTROL IT, I felt this repair HAD TO BE DONE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, to be successful , sooo being very careful I glued his beak back on, then put him a big box with his head sticking out the top, to keep his beak from HITTING into any thing that could harm his newly re attached beak , I waited for a wile later to give him some water WHICH I FED HIM WITH MY HAND ONLY , then the next day I fed him home made bread soaked in fresh goats milk & hand fed him that WAY every day for over a week, he stayed in the house in his box, i cleaned it every day and sat him in front of the TV in our family room, i felt the TV might at least give him a bit of entertainment , until i was sure his beak was ok and he could go back out side, so as the weeks went by he healed well..! and we spent many hours watching TV together in our TV room off the kitchen as he healed, his beak up , it was growing normally in a short time, so he could go back out side to play with is family by the end of that month HE DID JUST FINE & HIS BEAK WAS ALL GROWN OUT & THE INJURY WAS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE END , HE HAD A THIN LINE ACROSS IT at the very bottom edge of his beak, showing were he once had his beak RIPPED OFF & reattached with crazy glue.....lol.... but thank GOODNESS he had that chance to live a good long life & he did...! I dont give up easily and would have to think long & hard before killing any of my charges, i knew I would find a way to save him...!!! YES INDEED MY SWEET LITTLE GOOSE BOY WOULD LIVE A GOOD LONG LIFE , THANK GOODNESS...!!

im re posting & hope this might help others with a goose beak problem , YEARS AGO in the 1970's my young Toulouse goose , about 10 months old, he had ripped his top beak almost off ,in the gate of his pen , i found him like that & his beak was just hanging by a thread OF SKIN , but thank goodness for that ,because AS LONG AS THE BEAK WAS STILL CONNECTED IN SOME WAY I KNEW we had the ability to repair him, & so i did, but firsti called my vet and he told me how they would try to fix him by CUTTING AWAY THE ENTIRE BEAK UP TO HIS SKULL AND THEN SCREW IN A METAL BEAK , I KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT AS I HAD READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT WILD GEESE WHO HAD THEIR BEAKS COUGH IN TRAPS, AND THE WILD LIFE PEOPLE HAD REPAIRED THEM IN THAT MANOR WHICH I FELT WAS HORRIBLE FOR THE BIRD, SO I ASKED THE VET , WAS THERE ANY OTHER WAY...? HE SAID NO...! SOI TOLD MY VET THAT IF I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX HIM, I WOULD CALL BACK, MY VET KNEW ME WELL...lol.. I had cured many lost cases of every kind of injured animal given to me to heal, and i could always find away , so I said thank you & hung up the phone , BUT AT THAT VERY MOMENT THIS VOICE IN MY HEAD SAID = GET THE CRAZY GLUE..! SO I DID thank goodness i had some on hand, and I knew time was of the essence...! in repairing his beak, so I GLUED HIS BEAK BACK ON, I knew it would be at least a good try , SINCE I HAD READ MANY ARTICLES ABOUT CRAZY GLUE BEING USED FOR ALL KINDS OF MEDICAL REPAIRS, ON PEOPLE & ANIMALS and so it was at least worth a try to save my young goose...!! I HAD THE BEST KIND OF CRAZY GLUE FOR THE JOB IT WAS THE GEL TYPE, SO IT WAS NOT RUNNY AND I COULD CONTROL IT, I felt this repair HAD TO BE DONE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, to be successful , sooo being very careful I glued his beak back on, then put him a big box with his head sticking out the top, to keep his beak from HITTING into any thing that could harm his newly re attached beak , I waited for a wile later to give him some water WHICH I FED HIM WITH MY HAND ONLY , then the next day I fed him home made bread soaked in fresh goats milk & hand fed him that WAY every day for over a week, he stayed in the house in his box, i cleaned it every day and sat him in front of the TV in our family room, i felt the TV might at least give him a bit of entertainment , until i was sure his beak was ok and he could go back out side, so as the weeks went by he healed well..! and we spent many hours watching TV together in our TV room off the kitchen as he healed, his beak up , it was growing normally in a short time, so he could go back out side to play with is family by the end of that month HE DID JUST FINE & HIS BEAK WAS ALL GROWN OUT & THE INJURY WAS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE END , HE HAD A THIN LINE ACROSS IT at the very bottom edge of his beak, showing were he once had his beak RIPPED OFF & reattached with crazy glue.....lol.... but thank GOODNESS he had that chance to live a good long life & he did...! I dont give up easily and would have to think long & hard before killing any of my charges, i knew I would find a way to save him...!!! YES INDEED MY SWEET LITTLE GOOSE BOY WOULD LIVE A GOOD LONG LIFE , THANK GOODNESS...!!
Thank you so much for sharing your story. As amazing as it is. I'm so glad it worked. I've never been able to do anything with the crazy glue that is liquid so I will now look for the gel and have it on hand.

O golly that was a quite the day & pretty scary even , i had to do every thing, with one arm, wile holding a good size goose under my other arm.....lol.. my vet was shocked once again, when i brought my goose, one of the 6 i had , to visit the vets office so he could see he was doing great.....lol...
emo3.gif
emo1.gif
thank goodness for that
emo49.gif
....lol...
highfive.gif
gosh
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom