Feeding chickens catfood?

RoosterRidge

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Dry Fork, Va.
I know you are not supposed to feed catfood to chickens but our most finicky cat has a fit to get into the coop and eat their food. I have never seen anything like it in my life. She will often just go and lay down right in the middle of the flock. The chickens don't pay her any mind at all. Just wonder if the food will hurt her. She really does have a fit over it.
wee.gif

So you're wondering if letting the cat eat chicken food is ok for the cat or if feeding cat food to the chickens is bad?

Cat food is ok for an occasional treat for the chickens, just not as a regular thing. And I see little problem with letting the cat eat chicken food so long as it's not the medicated kind.

We actually give our chickens some cat food a few weeks before a show as a treat mixed in with their regular food. It's a good source of extra protein and oils to make their feathers super nice. As long as it's not the only thing they are eating, they will be fine!

It is fine but grosses me out. I eat the eggs and it makes me feel like I am eating cat food and makes me queesy
sickbyc.gif

lol, glad I ran into this link. The other day I gave some kitten (we rescued) some cat food (salmon meal probably) but soon noticed my 3 orpington ran the kitten over and was chomping on those cat food . I felt rather guilty as I wasn't sure if the cat food had anything harmful for those chicken, but didn't want to shoo them off .. they were loving it
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom