alfalfa hay

ginger67

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
The guy at the feed store suggested i put alfalfa hay in the nesting boxes instead of straw. He said they could eat the alfalfa and it would be good for them. What are your thoughts before I do this. I have only had my pullets about a month so I am very new to all this. They should start laying in another 4 wks or so.

They can definitely eat the alfalfa and yes it is good for them, but wow what an expensive thing to line nest boxes with. Unless you are buying it anyway for another reason.

We tried straw and the girls didn't like it.

But alfalfa hay is the most exspensive!

We use a lower quality hay for our nesting boxes and the girls seem to love it way more then the straw.

Thank you so much for the help. I'm just learning and know I can count on all of you for advice.
smile.png

My husband is the one willing to buy the alfalfa for me. He knows how crazy I already am bout these girls. It feels like they are becoming more of my pets than for providing good eggs for me. I guess that will be my bonus.
smile.png

Alfalfa is great for them nutritionally if your willing to pay for it. I don't know that I'd bother putting it in the nest boxes. I just toss a flake in the coop or run about once a week and they have a great time scratching it apart and finding all the little leaves. Mine seem to like shavings in the nest box and/or some nice, soft grass hay.

Don't you run the risk of impacted crops if they eat the stems?
I noticed the stems disappearings and took it out. But, they sure liked the leaves & bits when I first put it in. So, I'm not sure what to do?
idunno.gif

I paid 5 bucks for a bale, lots of hay for chicks, I too heard it good to line nest with. But they ate it all (all that i put in box, not whole bale) while I was at work today. Oh well still okay and relatively cheap lesson learned!
barnie.gif

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom