Jacksonville N.C. Chicken Laws

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Jacksonville N.C
In Jville ary there any laws preventing haveing chickens? just wondering I have chickens any way lol
wee.gif

From what I read it looks like you're in the clear! I looked up Jacksonville at www.municode.com and found this....

Sec. 4-86. - Keeping of horses, livestock, poultry, and rabbits.

(a)
Horses may only be kept within the City of Jacksonville as permitted in the City of Jacksonville Zoning Ordinance.

(b)
All stables, pasture areas, and manure and feed storage areas for horses, livestock, poultry or rabbits must be kept in a neat and healthy condition so as not to constitute a nuisance.

(c)
Rabbits and poultry for private use and enjoyment are permitted in the city limits as long as they do not become a nuisance because of noise or odor.

(d)
All livestock, rabbits and poultry raised on a commercial basis are prohibited in the city limits unless the use is in conjunction with the operation of a bona fide farm.

(Ord. No. 90-53, 10-16-90)

I live in a development in Richlands and I called Onslow zoning (I am not in the town of Richlands) and I am clear for this area too but I have a covenant in my neighborhood that reads "No animals, livestock or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred or kept on any lot, except that dogs, cats, or other household pets may be kept provided they are not kept, bred or maintained for commercial purposes"

According to the zoning office, 6 chickens for eggs and entertainment are considered pets (as I consider them as well) but I am looking for some other opinions.

I will call zoning again and mention this covenant and see if the story changes.

Were neighbors! My mom had said something about the neighborhood cover... I have had my chickens for a year. I had herd if the animal has a name then its a pet lol :) If I could I would turn our house into a petting zoo, with pigmy goat (lejuneyardsales.com has 1 for 15$), teacup pig, chickens, ect.
My name is Katie. Yours? :)

Hey Katie, glad to hear from you, I am Eric. What about are you (you can write me in a PM if you prefer). I live down 111 then off Bannermans Mill Rd.

I spoke with Sue the supervisor at Onslow Co. zoning again and she confirmed that if you are not raising them commercially they are considered pets but as far as the covenant goes it would be up to the homeowners association, which my neighborhood does not have one. She said that if someone had a problem with it they would have to file a law suit but if they were only selectively enforceing the covenant (which they would be if they tried) they would not have a leg to stand on. Worst case ever would be I would have to get rid of them so for now I am going to proceed with building an inexpensive coop.

Ironically, my neighbor 1 house away just got some chickens and a coop last night... That farms are spreading!

Eric

Back
Top Bottom