My hen just died, no reason identifiable.

glowgirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Milwaukie
So my hen named Seagull was up this morning, acted normal and when I came home she was dead and stiff under the porch. No sign of struggle, no blood or wounds. What could have happened? The rest of the flock and his been acting normal and everyone seems fine. It is the strangest thing.

so sorry for your loss. sometimes these things do happen. sometimes it could be just an internal problem, i dunno. ours died in the summertime, no reason, found her dead in the coop.
if you really want to new, you could find a avian vet and exaimne her.

This happened to me with a six-month-old Delaware hen a few years ago on Christmas Day. Very sad. While recounting the experience to a vet assistant recently, her suggestion was that the hen had died of egg yolk stroke. Very sorry for your loss.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Many of us have had this same thing happen. I lost one suddenly about a year ago. Sometimes it's an egg laying or heart problem, especially in hens bred for high egg production. Since you saw no symptoms of illness, I wouldn't worry about the rest of your flock, although you might want to keep an eye on them for the next couple of days just to be sure.

I just lost one the same way this morning. He was no more off than his usual self, and than BAM.. I find him gone in the coop
sad.png
It's so hard not knowing...

It is very hard not knowing. It was all I could think about for a while after my hen died, wondering what happened to her. I still think about her and wonder, every once in a while.
Quote:

Quote:

Have you had it happen again? All of my others seem totally fine. All large and well fed. The one that passed today has never gained weight like he should. He also had very slow growth of his feathers. There was a spot on his crest that had been missing for a month and the feathers didn't even start to grow
sad.png
Hopefully it was genetic... Nothing contagious.. I would not be able to handle another death.

Very sorry for everyone here as well. It's so hard to lose a pet. They are not just chickens to most of us. They are loved and cared for.. Maybe not for everyone, but they are for me..

I had one do that this summer. I assumed it was a combination of the horrible heat and trying to lay. That is the only reason I could think of for her not getting up for water. She hadn't shown any signs of being egg bound, but 2 of my hens started laying at 17 weeks old, and another started laying at 18 or 19 weeks old, and she was egg bound with her first one. Luckily, I caught it before she started stressing out about it.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your other birds have long healthy lives!
smile.png

Last edited:
My hen Cocoa did the same thing last year... I left in the morning she was fine, and I came back home she was alive but not doing well... sadly I watched her die
sad.png
But I am sorry for your loss... I'm sure she was a great hen
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom