How much should I pay for silkie chicks?

theCoolAimee

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Hattiesburg
I had some offered to me after I posted an add on CL. The youngest she had were 2 weeks old at $6/chick. is this too much?? I've never bought any silkie chicks before, maybe they're just more expensive? (just plain white, not for showing- just pets)

Prices vary depending on the seller, and the quality of fowl that they are offering.

On average a hatchery quality Silkie chick is $4.00 (including shipping). Is asking $1.00 per week expensive? Let's consider picking up the animals, caring for them, supplies, electricity, possible loss of chicks she paid for, and the time it takes to communicate with you. The only person this lady is ripping off is herself.

No, $6 is not too much. An average day old chick of a regular laying breed around here goes for 5.95. The more exotic, the more exppensive. I've seen some for as much as $8.95!

That sounds like a good price to me for that age. Especially during this time of year when it can be hard to find birds.

Quote:
Frankly, you get what you pay for. Do you want a flock of silkies that actually look like silkies, or do you want something that might resemble a silkie, but then again, it might not?

Remember, it costs just as much to feed, house and care for a mediocre bird from a mediocre flock as it costs to feed pretty pet silkies that came from a breeder who cares about the breed. The purchase price is only a small part of the cost of your flock. Keep in mind, down the road you'll be able to sell your eggs and/or chicks more easily if they come from good parents.

I bought 2 silkie pullets for $15.00 total. They are from 3 months - 5 months old. Really nice quality, more uncommon of a colour than white (blue and partridge). I bought a SQ roo for $15.00 at a year old. I also bought a PQ blue hen for $15.00.

In conclusion, no, I don't think that's too much.
smile.png

If the chicks are cared for, cute, and you really want them, $6 is really not much even for a backyard mix, imo
smile.png
I will probably sell mine for $5 - $10 depending on age and other specifics at some point in time.

I've saw the brahma egg auction end with the highest bid at $600 and something. THAT is too expensive, imo ~ crazy more like it! But if the demand and the money is there, make some money I say!
cool.png
gig.gif

Get the silkies if you want them and have the money. I'm sure they will make lovely pets.
smile.png

I paid 5.50 per chick when I got my 4 silkies, I got them the same day they hatched.

I got my silkies a couple of weeks ago, they were 6 a piece and so I got 3. I paid 3 a piece for hatchery RIRs, so I think 6 for silkies isn't bad, since they're so cute and fluffy and I really wanted them!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom