is 78% humidity to high for Lock down

Spitman

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Just built a new hatcher last week first time using it , I'm holding at 78 % H , I'm thinking that will be fine ? what do you think ?

Quote:
Yep.. Safety number is 65%.
tongue.png

Not to worry you are ok. My runs around 75% +/- and my hatches are fine. Actually high humidity during incubation drowns more chicks than in lockdown. Some people go as high as 80% and some poultry websites suggest 80% at lockdown. My hatches are between 90% and 100%.

Last edited:
Quote:
x2

I don't know about where you live, but in the summer months here the RH often gets up to 80% or sometimes higher and we don't drown, lol, kidding.
wink.png

It's more important to keep the humidity down during incubation so that the fluid inside of the egg can evaporate, when it comes time to hatch though, I try to raise mine to about 65-70% but it won't make too much of a difference because once the first chick hatches the humidity always spikes up anyway. And since there is often no way of lowering it significantly without opening the incubator, it stays that way and the chicks that hatch after the first always hatch out just fine. Best of luck!

Whew I was worried there for a min. Got 3 pips , day 20, . It's holding at 75 % come on chicks start zipping.thanks for the reply's

Hi am really glad you asked this ?. I have a big bator w 4 trays and I was wondering about the humidity thing myself. Every time the seasons change I have trouble w the humidity. Sometimes there dry r sticky. I finally went out and bought a humidity controller for the bator. Now I can breath more easyer knowing the temp in the bator. Hatch rate should be great this time around for me.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom