Tylan 50 Dosage for a Turkey

1cc per 10 lbs body weight twice a day for a week. dont inject it into a muscle, just shoot it down their throat its safer. Take the needle off the syringe first of course.

Last edited:
Quote:
Even the injectable kind?

yeah, I have injected in the past and had no problems until my wife stuck a nerve on one of our birds and he required a month in solitary to keep him safe from the other birds. People will tell you by injecting into a muscle it can damage the tissue, so I started just shooting it down their throat at night when they are on roost. its easier on the bird and no chance of my wife sticking another nerve by mistake.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Even the injectable kind?

yeah, I have injected in the past and had no problems until my wife stuck a nerve on one of our birds and he required a month in solitary to keep him safe from the other birds. People will tell you by injecting into a muscle it can damage the tissue, so I started just shooting it down their throat at night when they are on roost. its easier on the bird and no chance of my wife sticking another nerve by mistake.
smile.png

Actually, if you read the directions that come with it for using it on cattle and swine, it says there that it causes permanent muscle damage and they say to alternate injection sites. If the manufacturer admits it, I would say that it's probably true.

I use a needle to drain the sinus and inject the Tylan right in there. It's amazing how still they hold when I stick the needle into their face. I like to think they know it will help, but in reality they are probably afraid to move so they don't rip their face open. But I have only treated 2 or 3 turkeys and a young peacock in the span of 10 years or so so really not many. And in all cases (most before BYC even existed), I did one injection then waited 48 hours to monitor the swelling. In all cases the birds looked completely normal within that timeframe and I never did a second injection. Whatever caused it, it never came back.

re: muscle damage, here the vets are telling us to inject everything we give to sheep / goats / cattle as subQ - the USDA inspectors will reject the carcass of any animal found with muscle damage from injected antibiotics. I'm guessing the same applies to poultry, although I haven't heard that specifically. apparently it's something they're paying a lot more attention to lately

Tylan isn't made for poultry, most antibiotics that I know of for them are oral meds. While Tylan works great for respiratory problems, it's an off-label use for poultry and not approved by the FDA. I would be interested to see what the muscle damage looks like, I'll have to see if I can find any images.

Last edited:
I know that you typed this 3 years ago, but if you are out there, I would love to know more specifically HOW you inject into the sinus. As in through the nostril or into the part that is swollen under the eye? Please feel free to contact me or if you are on FaceBook I am Teresa Cutrell or email me at [email protected]. I would love to hear more details. Thank you for your time.

Back
Top Bottom