Does anyone use seedling heat mats for under the nests?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
to keep eggs from freezing? I put a thermometer inside the nest boxes and it's no warmer in there than it is outside. So when it starts getting really cold during the day and I can't get the eggs every hour or two, I thought maybe a gentle warmer might not be a bad idea. Anyone in cold areas use these? Or any other ideas to try? I don't want to heat the coop, just keep the nests above freezing. We have 3 separate nest boxes but could drill holes in between to run a cord through. I only have one outlet in the coop though, so they would all have to plug into one somehow...

Did you read the article in Backyard Poultry magazine about the seedling mats?

The person who wrote the article did use them for heating the nest boxes to prevent eggs from freezing and under the plastic waterer to keep it from freezing also.

I bought mine (10 in. by 20 in.) off Amazon for under 20.00 with free shipping. What I use it for is keeping a sick or injured chicken warm and quiet while they recoup.

I find it much safer and easier to use than a heat lamp. And the temp stays consistent and not too hot for them...

I just use a towel over it and place in bottom of cage and the chicken snuggles right down on it!

I don't remember that article. Was it in a recent issue? I think I have all of them.

eta: I was thinking of Hobby Farms Chicken magazine. I only have one issue of Backyard Poultry but if I can find out which issue it was in, I'll try to find it.

Last edited:
Gale it was in latest issue for Dec/Jan. I think the warming pads would keep the eggs from freezing.

Only thing is your hens may want to sleep/roost in them because of the warmth!

Quote:
Yikes-I don't want that. I did find that issue at booksamillion and bought it. thanks!

Now a new issue. Dirty eggs every day so I'm thinking about converting our nests to roll-outs. So I'll have to think more on the heat mat thing but this way I'll have room underneath whatever type of ramp we decide on.

I put the waterer under the nest boxes. It is heated by a 100 watt oil pan heater which is sandwiched between 2 concrete pavers. That heat helps keeps the nest boxes just a tiny bit warmer, and helps keeps the water from freezing as long as it isn't too cold.
Depending on where you are located you may need less wattage, or more (but probably less).

Quote:
I wouldn't a propagation mat, if the hen starts scratching in the nest box to make a nest there is a very good chance that the can damage the mat. The cheap propagation mat don't take much abuse.
If you are looking to heat the nest box try a Nest Box Warmer, there designed for rabbit nest boxes and made out of metal. Here is a link to a site that sells them
http://www.bassequipment.com/Miscellaneous/Rabbit+Nesting+Equipment/default.aspx

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
I wouldn't a propagation mat, if the hen starts scratching in the nest box to make a nest there is a very good chance that the can damage the mat. The cheap propagation mat don't take much abuse.
If you are looking to heat the nest box try a Nest Box Warmer, there designed for rabbit nest boxes and made out of metal. Here is a link to a site that sells them
http://www.bassequipment.com/Miscellaneous/Rabbit+Nesting+Equipment/default.aspx

Chris

We use dish tubs for our nests and I would have put the mat underneath so there would be no way for them to scratch it. I'll look at those nest box heaters though. I'm all for using what's meant to be used, if that makes sense. thanks
smile.png

eta: those look nice but wouldn't 95-100 degrees be too warm? Or if it was super cold out would it get that warm? I don't want to cook my eggs or make them go bad faster.

Last edited:
I have 2 puppy heaters from my incubator. they heat to 99 degrees. I am not so worried about their egg boxes Aas i keep pine shavings under astraw. but i am real worried about their waterers becoming frozen up.

Back
Top Bottom