Rare Breed Chicken Coop Design

austintgraf

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
This is a design of a large barn I plan to build in order to help preserve rare breeds of chickens. CB= Cabinent Incubator, SA= Still Air Incubator, F= Feed Bin. If you have any suggestions or input or breed recommendations that would be great! :) Thanks ~Austin

Woah! That's going to be huge! Hope it turns out well. I'd love to have one of those coops!
jumpy.gif

Thanks :) Umm I raise A variety of chickens currently, unfortunately none of which are really all that rare. After the construction of a coop I built I placed my rare breeds pullets in it. They were light brahma, wyandottes, dark cornish, turken, seabrights, ect. Well they were fine the first night. The second night a coon killed every single one of them :( alls I had left was roosters, which I sold. I won't be building my rare breed flocks back up until after this summer, I am touring the country and am not about to leave newly established flocks in the hands of a novice caretaker. I currently raise old style RIR, the dark mahogany LARGE ones, mille fluer and porcelian d'uccle simply because I love that breed. Some high show quality fawn OEG bantams and a couple random show chickens that don't fit in: deleware, bantam cochin etc. Once I get back however I have big plans! I plan to start a white french marans flock, a lavender orpington flock, turken flock, pheonix flock, ect.

I think you need water with a deep sink, perhaps in the area with the feed bins. You could incorporate the sink into a long work surface. With the money you'll have invested in your coop, you'll regret not running water inside.

This is a design of a large barn I plan to build in order to help preserve rare breeds of chickens. CB= Cabinent Incubator, SA= Still Air Incubator, F= Feed Bin. If you have any suggestions or input or breed recommendations that would be great! :) Thanks ~Austin
Awesome! Someday, I'd like to have a big barn like that too! Although mine 'd be quite different. You might consider having a nice big sink w/hot and cold water too.

Back
Top Bottom