Straight answer from san bernardino county? argh!

Cookiejen

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Moorpark, CA
So in an effort to figure out how many I can have on our acre in crestline- I have made four, yes four calls to animal control and have received 4 very different answers. They finally told me to call land use... They dont know either.. They are" looking into it". it's funny-if there was ever a complaint im sure they could tell me what I was in violation of, but with me being proactive they have no clue... Does anyone happen to know the answer after encountering this?

In my town, it used to be the zoning office that had the final say. Since downsizing, it is now a pinball. That may be what you are experiencing. But try the zoning office if you have not already.

Contact the county. Code and zoning department they will be the ones to tell you what you can have and do. It is really hard to find out answers when you don't have a true city hall for your community. Let me know what you find out if you could.

I live in San Bernardino in the city. only about 10 minutes away from the court house, and City Hall, if that far away at all. and 3 of my neighbors have chickens not counting myself. everyone else has wild dogs, ferral cats, amoung other things you probably know living in San Bernardino. and those of us with chickens are the only ones who actually take care of our pets and keep them in our yards, and keep them from attacking people. so if you live in the county; then you're aloud to have chickens.

Interesting remarks - I so want chickens and just brought a house in Crestline only to hear from a realtor you ain't allowed chickens - but what do they know? I have 4 lots - so I have land to keep them away from house? - just want to stay connected to you all and find out the truth -and how to as well.

Brought the it from another realtor, so who's to say anyone would know or care? - what the crime in having a few chickens! - Fowl play!

Hi I also live in Crestline Calif and want chickens , not sure if that is possible ? I have an extra lot with nothing on it.

Hey guys, I used to live in San Berdo for a while, just off Little Mountian. I was able to find that because Crestline is such a small town, they are governed by the County rules, not their own city regulations. And as for print statutes or ordinances- nothing statute specific, but I was able to find this:
From http://cms.sbcounty.gov/lus/Planning/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

I think the key may be to find out what zoning your lots are up there on the top of the Mountain, the size of your lots and if you can aggregate the total sq ft for all 4 to 'loophole' your birds in.

How many chickens (or female poultry) & roosters (or male poultry) may I have on my property?

Chickens and roosters are considered female and male poultry. As an accessory use to Residential Property having chickens or roosters on the most common Land use Zoning of RS (Single Residential) or RL (Rural Living) the following would apply:

Female Poultry:
- If less than 7,200 square feet parcel size, then two (2) female poultry are allowed
- 7,200 square feet parcel to 9,999 square feet parcel size, then three (3) female poultry are allowed.
- 10,000 square feet parcel to 19,999 square feet parcel size, then four (4) female poultry are allowed.
- 20,000 square feet parcel size or more, then one (1) per 2,000 sq. ft. - Maximum 9 of each genus (a class, kind or a sort of a species) per parcel of female poultry are allowed.
Male Poultry:
- Minimum parcel size required 1 acre.
- A maximum of nine (9) male poultry per parcel are allowed, but no more than 2 of any genus (a class, kind or a sort of a species).
As an example: You would be allowed to have Two (2) Roosters and Two (2) Ganders (male geese) and Two (2) Drakes (male ducks), Two (2) Peacocks and One (1) Tom turkey for a total of 9 male poultry.
For all other Land Use Zoning Designations, Primary Use for poultry, or Commercial Uses of poultry on a parcel, please click the link below:

This makes it about a clear as mud. I wonder what a "...sort of a species..." is? They do tend to make it hard for residential areas to do what they want on their own land. Good Luck on your quest.

Back
Top Bottom