Not Turning Shipped Eggs For the First Three Days....Why?

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
I have read, in the past, posts from folks who said they did not turn eggs that had been shipped for the first three days after setting them. I am wondering if anyone can tell me the reasons why.

I just set shipped silkie eggs and am planning to not turn them for the first three days and would really like to understand the concept!

PnP

I haven't read that. I did read to let them sit for 12-24 hours before starting them. It gives the yolk and air cell time to reposition after potentially rough handling by the post office.

I received eggs yesterday that came 2/3 of the way across the country. I did have one out of 38 broken. There was an overpack of two eggs, unfortunately not the breed of the broken one, oh well. I will be putting them into the incubator around noon today.

Good luck with your hatch.

Deb

It's a matter of personal preference. Usually with shipped eggs, you want them to "sit" for a day since they've probably been tossed around a bit.

When I receive shipped eggs, I allow them to settle for the day.

I open the pkg to make sure none are broken and leave them on my desk until that evening.

Then I place them into my incubator with the auto turner.

I don't see any reason to "not" turn once they're incubating since eggs in a nest get moved around quite a bit every time the hen moves.

You're probably not going to kill your chicks by not turning them the first 1-3 days.

smile.png

I just had a thought...

Perhaps you read the information incorrectly.

Perhaps it is the LAST 3 days of not turning that you were reading. (?)

In that case, YES, do not turn the LAST 3 days.

I only let them sit for about 8 hours or so. And yes, the three days to stop turning come at the other end....stop turning chicken eggs at day 18 of incubation.

Thanks everyone who took the time to post! I do know to stop turning the eggs a few days before hatch, but really thought I had read about folks who did not turn the eggs the first few days after setting them.

Hmmmmmm.......maybe it was simply confusion on my part. Wouldn't surprise me a bit...... It's been happening a lot lately. After 50 it's all downhill.
old.gif

Now. What were we talking about.....?

Lol!! That sounds like my 60-something dad. He is now convinced that he's getting Alzheimer's. I just think he's getting wiser with age...he's always been forgetful, but now, he's finally realizing it!
old.gif

Lol!! That sounds like my 60-something dad. He is now convinced that he's getting Alzheimer's. I just think he's getting wiser with age...he's always been forgetful, but now, he's finally realizing it!
old.gif
I hate that!!! I can't wait till I'm senile enough that I don't know I'm senile. Life will be much simpler.

I don't turn shipped eggs for two days or so. For me, I get more to develop this way. I use a turner and hatch with them upright in spare egg racks.

I don't turn shipped eggs for two days or so. For me, I get more to develop this way. I use a turner and hatch with them upright in spare egg racks.

Thank you for posting, this is what I am doing this time. I have hatched lots of babies, but never taken a few days to begin turning shipped eggs. I have read where others said it upped their hatch rate. So, I went ahead and turned them today. I went to put away the cartons they were shipped in and found 3 MORE EGGS. How in the world did I miss three eggs? So, I set them today (2 days after the others) and went ahead and turned the eggs that were already in there.

I am beginning to scare myself!
hide.gif

In my own defense I WAS sick that day...and they were extras....but for goodness sake!

Back
Top Bottom