Chicken id Leg bands?

pbzmomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
Virginia
I hope this is the right spot for this thread lol. We have decided we want to use id tags on our chickens. We are torn between two different kinds found online. There are the metal leg bands then the plastic ones. any idea which is better and safer for chickens? what age should we put them on? below are links to the 2 kinds we are considering.

http://www.randallburkey.com/Initialed-Leg-Bands-Color/productinfo/22021/272|281

http://www.randallBurkey.com/Box-Of-25-7-Bandettes/productinfo/23003/

Thanks

I haven't used the metal ones, but I'd go for the plastic. When I bought my Silkie chick she had a plastic legband like those and it was very easy to take off and seemed really easy to put on and to change out as chicks grow. The metal ones need a special tool to put on, too.
I personally used velcro cable ties. They are sold at Wal-Mart and all of the hardware stores I've been to. Here is what I got. The black ones I wrap different combinations of colored electrical tape around and on the gray ones I write names, numbers, etc on. It is much more customizable and you can adjust them as the birds grow so if you put them on chicks they can stay on the same bird through its whole life. Some people also use zip ties.
But if you are limited to those two choices, I think the plastic ones are better.

Thanks so much :) We looked at something like that but we were scared our guardian pup might lick those off. Our chickens and Emma have a special love relationship. lol

Thanks so much :) We looked at something like that but we were scared our guardian pup might lick those off. Our chickens and Emma have a special love relationship. lol

lol.png
My Corgi mix Dan wishes the chickens loved him as much as he loves them. He and my cats will clean each other, and Dan tries to catch the chickens so that he can lick them. Why would they not want a dog to lick them?!

Thank you so much for the great ideas! We have an odd assortment of chickens and raise some of our own so I have to keep straight which chicken is related to which others. I love the velcro and zip tie ideas as I already have multiple colors of both of those.

I use plastic zipties for baby chicks, but switch to these leather I.D. bands for juvenile & adult chickens since they're adjustable (with small, medium and large sizing all in one band) and fit almost any standard chicken breed. Hope that helps!

I use the soft rubber band type on the chicks, they are easy to change as the chicks grow, then change to the plastic spiral bands as they mature. Both come in many colors, and you can use a band on each leg if you want to id different individials and different hatching years.

Back
Top Bottom