rhode island red or black australorp friendlier and best egg layer?

godisgood

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 3, 2011
Which of those two eat less, better free range, are friendlier, lay bigger, darker, and more eggs?

I've only had a RIR but she was a little aggressive. Production reds are, in my experience, a little more polite & often better layers. RIRs are prettier though. (than production reds)

Last edited:
I have one of each. By far, the RIR is friendlier - she will run down as soon as she sees me, is easy to put back in the coop when I need to and enjoys a cuddle. My Australorp is still very sweet, but just a little more "aloof". If I manage to catch her, she is still happy for a cuddle.
I got them at the same time and they were both point of lay. They have both been highly productive, regular egg layers. The RIR eggs are probably a little larger, but not by much. The RIR has been broody once over summer, the Australorp has not been broody yet (in about 15 months). They both free range very well.

My Australorp is probably 1.5 times the size of my RIR.

I think the Australorp is prettier, I love the green and purple gleam to her glossy black feathers.

I probably haven't helped at all, they are both nice (and cold tolerant - don't know if that helps). The RIR is probably a little easier (because of her friendly nature) to "control".

Which of those two eat less, better free range, are friendlier, lay bigger, darker, and more eggs?

A breed of chicken can't be judged based on the experience of having just one or a few of the breed. There are individual variations.

The Rhode Island Red is slightly larger on average than the Black Australorp, and the Rhode Island Red will lay a little larger eggs on average than the Black Australorp.

The Rhode Island Red will rarely go broody. The Australorp will sometimes go broody.

Both breeds of hens will lay about 5 light-brown eggs a week on average in a year. Rhode Island Reds are a little better egg-layers. They both are hardy breeds that can free range well. I would say they eat about the same amount.

Australorps are generally more friendly than Rhode Island Reds, which typically do not like to be picked up.

Again, there are individual differences. You may get a hen that isn't like a typical hen of the breed.

Both the Rhode Island Red and Black Australorp are great dual-purpose breeds.

Here is information about popular chicken breeds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chickens-resource-for-selecting-your-chickens

Last edited:
Hi! I have a RIR and she is a complex diva! I have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Ameracuanas and 1 Welsummer. My RIR loves to come in the house and see what I am doing when it's warm outside, she is inpatient when she wants her snack. She lets me pick her up and hold her on my lap, but will peck my painted toenails when I put her down. She acts all tough, but is silly. I do think Australorps are just beautiful! If you want something friendlier, spend lots of time holding your chicks. My RIR is a good egg layer with good size eggs. Good luck!

I have had both breeds and use to manage a chicken hatchery that bred both and I can say from experience that your questions are not easy to answer. RRs probably eat a little less and free range better. Australorps are definitely friendlier (RRs are sometimes aggressive, especially the roosters). The brown eggs of both breeds are approximately the same size and color--it depends on the individual hens. Which breed lays the most eggs is variable. Our best layers between the two breeds were Australorps (300 + eggs per year), but our worst layers were also Australorps (less than 200 eggs per year). It seems to depend largely on the particular strain of Black Australorps. Our RRs had less variation laying from 220 to 270 eggs per year. The Australorps probably laid a little better in really cold weather but tended to go broody more often than the RRs (no eggs during this time). I personally like the Australorps better due to their superior temperament and the fact that they are a prettier (in my opinion) chicken. I hope this helps.

I think reds rir are friendlier hands down I've got 600 chickens and I would say Rhode island red is more friendly less aggressive then any others I've found like buff Easter eggers autrolourp you want really friendly get a Cochin or silkie their great I've got a 100 of those great pets unless u need large eggs all the time sometimes it's better to get something smaller good luck don't know if this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom